1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need Help * URGENT *

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by philly6, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philly6

philly6 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

In the recent weeks I noticed and abundance of dust building up on my fans and inside my tower. I have not cleaned out the dust for a while now so i decided to do it today. I opened my tower up and cleaned some of the dust out being careful and whatnot. When i closed my tower plugged everything in and turned it on. It loads (green light lights up) however it doesnt work, the moniter stays on 'standby' and the fans seem like they are going crazy. The fans could just be because there is no more dust but i dont know. If anyone could help me to get my computer working it would be helpful. BTW: When i press the power button it immediately turns off so i know something isnt right. It seems like i just have power but nothing is working. HELP!

I have a dell dimension 8400 with Windows XP!

edit: oh and it beeps a couple times when i start it up and the light on the d drive flashes a couple times too

edit x 2: I did take the RAM chip out as i was planning on buying new ram and wanted to see which i had... could that be the problem? Now when i clip it in, one side doesnt seem to clip in very well

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ram will only fit one way, power it down remove the ram and make sure that the notch on the ram lines up in the momory slot...

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah sounds like you reversed the ram and you have to look at where the split is in the slot and the stick of ram to see that. I only hope you didn't try too hard to get it in the wrong way.

4. philly6

philly6 Thread Starter

i didnt try very hard, when i put them back in and clip the sides it doesnt seen to 'clip' onto the ram and I am able to slide it out without 'unclipping' the sides.

Also when installing ram into the slots, there are two slots on the sides in which the clips seem to 'clip' inside to, however it just rests against the sides of the ram chip inbetween the two rivets.

Edit: It seems i am aving trouble putting the ram back into its slot, when yuo install the ram correctly the clips are suposed to CLICK into place correct? ** As in being the same depth as the slots without a RAM chip in? **

5. Augie65

Augie65

6. philly6

philly6 Thread Starter

That's the thing, I am and it still is loose -- like i can pull the ram chip out without unclipping the clips, does that mean its not in correctly.?

7. Augie65

Augie65

If you have the correct ram, just be sure that the notch matches the ram slot. Then press on each end of the ram straight down with equal pressure and the clips should snap into place when the ram is seated.

8. philly6

philly6 Thread Starter

ok i got it... i just had to apply a little more pressure while closing the clips at the same time and it worked, thanks for the help. I guess you just ened to apply more pressure than yuo think -- because they seem extremely delicate.

9. Augie65

Augie65

You are very welcome.:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!