1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need help with a vlookup formula

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by anonymos105, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anonymos105

anonymos105 Thread Starter

I am working on a spreadsheet that calculates life insurance rates and I can't for the life of me get this formula to work. Here is the situation

I need it to take the age shown in column d of sheet 1
    It needs to find that age in column 1 of sheet 2 and return the matching result in column 2 of sheet 2
    this all needs to appear in column L of sheet 1

so for example
    cell L2 needs to show the rate that applies to employee 1
    in cell D2 it has his age of 60
    I need L2 to take the age of 60 in cell D2 find that age in sheet 2 column 1 (in this case A47) and return the corresponding rate in sheet 2 B47 (in this case $1.21)

Can anybody help with this, everytime I have tried to figure out the formula I get some random number thats not even on any of the spreadsheets.

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Please post your sample workbook.

Regards,
    Rollin

3. anonymos105

I have attached a sample of the worksheet as you can see the column in yellow is not calculating right.

Attached Files:

4. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi anonymous,

Not wanting to step on Rollin's thread, but weird formula you have in L2!
    =VLOOKUP(D2,RATE,1+(G2="N")+1)

Where is RATE (maybe on another sheet, cos' I noticed your spreedsheet opened asking for links to other books) and what's with the 1+(G2='N')+1 bit, what are you trying to achieve?

Just use:
    =VLOOKUP(D2,Rates!A:B,2,FALSE)

lol
    Hew

5. anonymos105

Thanks Yorkshire, that appears to have did it. Although I must say I have no qualms about admitting I was in left field and didn't have a clue as to the formula. I have never had to use vlookup before, although I knew it was the formula needed, and the excel instructions on how to use it may as well be written in sandscrit for all their worth. I got that wacky formula from another older spreadsheet that did a similar function. But as you can tell it wasn't what I was looking for.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice