1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need help with network icon on taskbar

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCM1519, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I have two computers that I want run on a wireless network. They are a Sony VAIO (laptop) and a desktop. Both are running Windows 7 Professional.

My cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 (combination modem and router) and my network adapter device is a MediaLink-N USB 2.0 Adapter.

The modem is working and I can get email and web sites. Also, the Sony laptop is seeing it and can also get email and web sites so it appears that the modem is working. Motorola said that the modem and router are both OK.

The problem is with the network icon on the lower taskbar. There is none on the desktop but the laptop does have one. Motorola said that there is an icon somewhere on the desktop computer but did not know how to find it. They called it a "cell phone signal bar". It is an icon with five vertical bars that start out on the left side (short) and end on the right side (long).

I did a Google search for "cell phone signal bar" and did not have much luck. Most of the responses had to do with cell phones and none of the hits addressed this problem.

Is there another name for this icon?

It has run every day since I installed the modem but is not working today

Any suggestions on how to recover this icon? .

Thanks

2. TekTime

TekTime

What operating system are you using (type and version)?

3. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I am running Windows 7 Professional on both machines

4. Hughv

Hughv

Rt-click the system tray/properties
    You'll see a list of icons you can control. Turn on the "Network" icon.

5. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I enabled it but have not rebooted yet so will let you know if that did it. Thanks

6. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

The network is finally running without it so I am going to leave it alone.

Thanks for the help

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice