1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need help with noisy computer, please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris C., Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

hello!

the fan on my Dell pc has always been pretty noisy, but lately it sounds like it's going to blow up - or like a semi truck shifting gears and driving over gravel. so.....i guess i need to replace it. my experience working on hardware is about as advanced as testing & installing sticks of RAM, so i need to ask for some basic guidance.

1. do i just order the same model that's already in the computer?
    2. is this a simple plug-and-go job?
    3. do i need to order this online, or does radio shack or other carry this stuff?
    4. if online, are there any companies people would recommend?
    5. i'm guessing i can't just swap one out of an old computer, then? ;)

thanks for any advice/help!
    ~chris

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First we need to know what fan is making the noise. Open the case and look [there are numerous fans inside the case; cpu fan, exhaust fan, power supply fan]

You can usually tell which fan is making the noise by taking a straw or long thin screwdriver and hold it against the fan body. Do not touch the spinning blades.

When you post what fan is giving you the problem, we can recommend a replacement.

3. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

oh, thanks - i didn't realize there were multiple fans.

i looked up the part number and it's the CPU heatsink fan. this is my part #: BG0903-B049-P0S

4. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

p.s. i can feel it "grumbling", and if i lightly press my hand on it, the noise becomes slightly more quiet/muffled

5. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Are any cables getting caught in the fan? This can cause a horrible loud grinding noise.

Edit: Sorry I didn't see the replies. Sounds like you've diagnosed the issue and crjdriver is helping you replace the heatsink fan.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, most likely you cannot just purchase a standard hsf [dell is proprietary]

Post the exact make and model of dell OR post your service tag# and we can try and find you a hsf.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

8. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

thanks for jumping in matthewdownloads, and yes, crjdriver - that's the exact label that is on mine!

replacement questions:

sorry if this sounds overly basic, but do i just unscrew the screws and then unplug it? it looks excessively simple.

also, i saw that some come with (or without) the heatsink - do i need to replace the heatsink too? (i used to repair circuit boards a long, long time ago and i remember some kind of goop you needed to put on there - will i need to mess with something like that?)

long before my fan got all grumbly-grindy, i noticed it would always "rev" up especially whenever i was on a page with video or like a flash game (words with friends, etc) is this normal? it was awfully annoying, and i had to put the computer on stand-by to get it to 'calm down'.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you just want to replace the fan, then just R&R the screws and replace. If you want to replace the heatsink as well, then you will need to clean the cpu with 99% alcohol and use thermal compound.

The fan speed going up and down is controlled by the mb. When the system is under a load, fan speed increases. If it is more than a few years old, I would either replace the hsf or just pull it off and replace the thermal compound. In any case, make sure you blow out all of the dust from the heatsink. Use a can of air [available at any office store, computer store or even walmart]

10. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

thanks for the explanations!

i've been googling around for replacement parts and from what i'm finding, it sounds like there's a known issue with a faulty heatsink on the Dell Optiplex GX280 which is what i have. if anyone's interested, the issues described by the original poster in this thread sound exactly like what i had been experiencing up until it progressed into a grindy-grumbly problem. http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/132593-Fan-Noise-Dell-OptiPlex-GX280.-SOLVED

LAST QUESTION...i watched a couple youtube videos on changing out the fan (good thing too, i was thinking the thermal compound had to be piled on) do i need to "ground" myself or do something to prevent static? usually i just open up the computer and start poking around.

11. rasec2012

rasec2012

hi chris
    you need to "ground"yourself because static can damage the computer, first unplug you machine from the ac power, second ground yourself with something made of metal And third hands to the job!

12. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

13. rasec2012

rasec2012

well i've seen the heat sink and its looks pretty good to me, but you had to notice that its a used part, if youre planning to buy you better buy a new one! if you are looking for something in particular just tell me the brand and the model and i look for it!!!

14. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

i took the old fan out to clean it and the heat sink......omg, it was covered in a cloak of dust. but cleaning it didn't help so i'm going to replace both.

can someone help me figure out how to remove the heatsink? i have the optiplex gx280 SD model and i got as far as removing the green clips, but the heat sink is setting in like a black plastic frame thingy (it's the frame that the green clips clip in-to). it doesn't look attached to anything else. there are little 'tabs' that prevent me from just lifting out the heatsink. it looks like i could pry it out, but that doesn't seem right. is there a trick?

15. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Heatsinks can be horrible to remove and they are all different. I know on mine you have to twist the black tabs keeping it pressed down. Hopefully crj or somebody can help you with yours.

Refer to the instruction manual that came with your CPU, or look it up on the internet. That will have detailed instructions of how to do this.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice