1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: need help with sound, just installed vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JDRM, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JDRM

JDRM Thread Starter

On my dell dimension 4700 i just wiped xp home, and installed vista ultimate.

However, I'm having some trouble finding a sound driver

[​IMG]

ive tried the update driver option, but it just says it is already upto date.

Thanks guys :)

2. bigbear

bigbear

You are out of luck, Dell has no Vista sound drivers for your particular machine.
    I can only suggest a sound card, make sure it supports Vista

3. JDRM

JDRM Thread Starter

damn, i thought that might be the case

could someone give me some info about this? like what will support my machine and how to install it?

4. JDRM

JDRM Thread Starter

bump :D

5. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Dell never has drivers for your sound card, no PC manufacturer does.

Your drivers will come from the sound card manufacturer or, if it is built into the motherboard, the motherboard manufacturer (I'm betting Realtek).

Look at the specs for your motherboard and/or sound card. That's what you want to look for.

Courtney

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I found a link for a driver download for that system. I have never used this site so I cannot tell you if it works well or not. FWIW here is the link You can decide whether or not to use it. If you do have problems, I would just pickup a creative audigy card.

7. frankjohn

frankjohn

When you buy a sound card> like stated above make sere its Vista compatible, if you are only using the new sound card for basic sound it will not set you back in $$$.To install it >with power off take the side off of the case and locate a PCI slot Before inserting the card you will have to remove a IO metal plate as i call it ,in the back of the case where your connections are. THE sound card should come with directions.After installing the card BOOT the pc and install the driver that came with the card> if all goes well put side back on case

8. JDRM

JDRM Thread Starter

thanks but you have to register the program for it to work.. ive tried looking for torrents but cant find any

and id rather not spend money on a sound card, as im planning to build my own system around Christmas...

if anyone knows where i can find the driver please say :) and thanks guys

9. frankjohn

frankjohn

Call Dell

10. bigbear

bigbear

Onboard sound drivers normally come with the motherboard cd and I agree you can also go to Realtek.
    In the case of a Dell pc its not that simple you have to get them from Dell:D

11. JDRM

JDRM Thread Starter

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The audigy cards have vista drivers. Do not buy a sound blaster live since there are no vista drivers AFAIK.

13. JDRM

JDRM Thread Starter

so will the Creative Audigy SE defiantly work?

if so is that a fair price? :rolleyes: thanks :D

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it should. No one can give you an absolute answer since sometimes hardware just does not work together ie your mb may have a conflict however the chance of that is very slight.

If it were me, I would pickup an audigy card and install it.

BTW when installing any creative sound card, I just install the driver and NOT all of the other bundled apps that are on the install CD. I would download the latest driver from creative's site and use that driver and not what is on the install CD.

15. JDRM

JDRM Thread Starter

great, ill do that then :)

thanks a lot :D

unless anyone has any cheaper alternatives?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice