1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: need HOW-TO re: saving files from HD after

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kprance, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

Hi.

Well, I can't get anyone on here to help me with my crashed computer, so can ANYONE at least tell me where I can find step-by-step instructions on how to hook up my hard drive to another computer and salvage (unbelievably important life or death medical/financial/scanner/photo) files. I'm no MS cert. tech, but I do know my way around a computer- sort of- (I learn what I need & then a month later it's/i'm obsolete, y'know)

The system is an old HP running XPpro I put a .... Seagate... I believe, HD in it when the HP died ( a week out of warrranty). An unknown virus trashed the OS in it, so I bought an old junker & got it up & running, just to have something to run the HD into.

I have never tried to salvage data from another computer HD before, and I need to know what sort of connections I need, what to plug to, etc. I'm trying to save several text/photo file folders from desktop and (very important) the image files from my scanners "Paper Port" program.

Thanks - all comments/help desperately appriciated - I can't even post a resume till I get this fixed!

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

just take the harddrive out of the computer and buy yourself a USB harddrive enclosure, you can then plug it into the USB port and copy your files like any USB stick..

3. jazz3000

jazz3000

4. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

Can I use a S ata to USB adapter cable to do this? Their a lot cheaper than the HD enclosures 19.95 vs 45-50.00. ( & i've already managed to absolutely WASTE about $200 so far just trying to salvage the data at an already bad financial time).

Also is the software required or can I just download the old files direct to another computer? I'm getting conflicting info on this here and the other places i've searched.

Thanks!

5. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

I'm sure there is a separate cable, I've never checked...the enclosure is just a cable anyways with a small circuit board ( I think) not much to it, oh and a power supply...no software is required XP will recognize it just as if you were plugging in a memory stick.

edit: I guess this is what you want Click It would be easier, but looks around the same price...you'll have to check stores close to you...look for a Tiger Direct or similar store in your area.

6. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

Back again guys... I got the SATA to USB connector from Tiger D. Got everything set up( with an old comp that I just have around to test stuff with - to recieve & copy the salvaged files), took the access panel off the one i'm trying to salvage and.... it's an IDE.... So, I have to return the SATA & wait for the IDE replacement (which got terrible product reviews). Out a total of $20 just for postage. ( yea... I KNOW I should have checked, but the guy that ripped me off at the comper repair place told me it was a SATA..... trust but verify hmmm who said that?)

QUESTION:
    While i'm digging around in the computer I noticed the "slave" connector for another HD. I take the cover off my old clunker "test" computer ( V133 chip?) and it's got an IDE also. SO - anyway that I can pull the HD that i'm trying to salvage data from, hook it up as the "slave" to the other IDE computer, and salvage the files?

If so,(A) is it an easy enough project for a hack level tech like myself to manage?
    (B) The IDE connector HD to be salvaged has the center pin space on the bottom row in the female (cable) Blocked, while the IDE cable slave connector in the "test" computer has all the openings??? never noticed this before. Would they still be compatable?

Note: old "test" computer is also running XP pro, but is not currently set up for online use.

As usual THANKS!
    Kerry

7. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

if they are both IDE you can do it. You have to change the jumper position on the old one to make it a SLAVE and it can either go on the second connector of the Primary IDE or on the cable for the Secondary IDE....don't change the current drive settings of the good computer. The OS will not matter on the second drive as it won't load anyways.

8. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

the motherboard usually has a Primary and secondary plugin...then each wire can have up to 2 connections, but sometimes they only come with one plug per wire.

9. jazz3000

jazz3000

10. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

Thanks guys (ZIGGY/JAZZ)... back again. Yes JAZZ, This is the same HD from the old HP that I desperately need to salvage files from. I watched the youtube info, but it just wasn't applicable to my situation. Under MY COMPUTER> SHARED DOCUMENTS all I have listed is "my photos" & my music" - from the main "C" drive - not the attached HD.

I finally got the right adapter from tiger (the usb to to IDE) and got it hooked up to my old (virus infected/trashed OS) hard drive. It took a couple hours, but I finally got it to show up on my "TEST" (old offline comp running XP pro) computer.

I have followed all the instructions that I can follow, but I can't figure out how to get the contents of my old hard drive to show up (so I can copy them). The files I am trying to save are: misc. desktop text & JPG/BMP files, files from my scanner (pageport) program and Outlook mail files.

In CONTROL PANEL> DEVICE MANAGER> DISC DRIVES I get "QUANTUM FIREBALLPLM10.2 (which is the onboard HD), and "USB DEVICE"... which (I assume) is the other hard drive on the IDE/USB. When I double (left) click on on USB DEVICE the USB DEVICE PROPERTIES screen says the device is working properly.

on the DEVICE MANAGER page I also show - (may be irrelevant... don't know, but all are listed as "working properly").

IDE ATA ATAPI CONTROLLERS
    PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL
    VIA BUSMASTER IDE CONTROLLER

------however----- In "MY COMPUTER">"HARD DISC DRIVES", all it showes is " LOCAL DISC "C".

So. can anybody tell me how to get my files up so I can copy them? If so, please be explicit. After my stroke, - as the song says " I AIN"T AS GOOD AS I ONCE WAS" :)

Thanks again & again.

Kerry

11. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

If you right-click on My Computer, select Manage, and then click on Disk Management..
    - does the old HP drive show up on the list?
    - if so, what is its status? "healthy, no allocation, etc."

12. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

did you set the jumpers on the usb drive? It's been a while since I set one up, but I think it still needs to be set as a slave

13. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

Sorry about the delay in response - medical issues. I've tried everything that ya'll, AND the manual (that came with the IDE to USB connector... one badly written page smaller than an index card) has said to do, and I cannot get the "old/salvage" HD to appear on the MY COMPUTER page. It shows up under CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM > HARDWARE>DEVICE MANAGER>DISC DRIVES> as "USB DEVICE"... but I can't get any info about the disc to come up.

As for Mr. JSanguancheu's suggestions - I do not have a "MANAGE" option under MY COMPUTER , I have to go to CONTROLL PANEL>ADMIN TOOLS>DISC MANAGEMENT.... and it's still not there?

I have tried all this stuff on both my old "test computer and my late model laptop and got the same exact results (none) with both.

Lastly, I checked the jumpers and the salvage disc was set on "cap limit" setting. I changed them to "master", as the manual was adament about that setting (?)

Any other suggestions???

I'm now resetting them in "slave" , but I have to reboot, so i'll have to post this first.

Thanks
    Kerry

14. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

Actually, I think it should be set to Master.

you have a separate power cord for the drive right? can you tell if it is spinning ( vibrating).

If you have XP, "MANAGE" has to be there on the right click

15. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

Well, I lost my post when I maked it "solved"... I couldn't get that Sabrent EDI to USB - HD addaptor to work at all... total junk pwer supply sparked & fried, had to use the PC 's power & it still wouldn't work. So I went the EDI 2 slave route & it worked perfectly (assuming I hav'n't spread that virus to everything now???). All I have to do is figure out a way to salvage my Outlook Express email's.... I know there has to be a way to do it!...But I guess thats another forum huh? Also got to find the best way of wiping that HD before reinstall.

Thanks so much guys/ZIGGY/Jazz SJ...couldn't have done it without you!

Kerry

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice