1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need info on how to reinstall windows xp on dell dimension 1100 series.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bad method, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bad method

bad method Thread Starter

May seem like a dumb question but I've never had a dell before and this one is getting on my nerves. Ok short story is I inherited this PC from my late mother in law. She had only 256 ram so I bought 1GB and installed it and it still ran slow. Now my 7 year old downloaded a trojan virus which made the PC run even slower. I got rid of the trojan and it still runs slow. I figured I'd be better off just reinstalling windows but everyone wants atleast $80 to $100 to do it, I'd figured I could do it myself but have no idea how to with a Dell. It's an Dimension 1100 Series, has Intel Celeron CPU 2.53 Ghz, DVD/Cd-Rw, that's about it. I've download the drivers and backed up important files just need alittle more info to get going. Your help is greatly appreciated.

"Bad"

2. Antiapplekid

Antiapplekid

Do you have the restore disk?

3. bad method

No I do not have the restore disc for this particular PC. What I have is the original Windows XP OS dsic that went with the PC that I bought. I am using my morther in law's Dell which came to me after she passed on. If I had the restore disc, I know alot of my toruble with her old PC would be solved, unfortunately I don't. I am using her PC becuase I have to start over with my AMD PC, have to have it rebuilt and get all new parts. A hassle I can't afford right now but this Dell is a simple problem that I basically can do my self just need some help. So I have all the files I want top save backed up on another harddrive and I have the relevant drivers just kinda stuck on stupid with installing. Its embarrassing I know.

4. techychick

techychick

I'm not sure where you live but I've picked up Dell restore disks off of Craigslist for right around $20. You won't be able to use the OS disk that is for your other pc

5. bad method

I yalked to a couple of repair techs (as if you can rely on anything they say) and two have told me that you can use the XP OS Disc just have to find all the drivers or whatever but with the restore Disc you just need to delete unused files. Kinda confuses you when you don't recall how you did it in the first place which is my case, I use to install and reinstall windows 95 and 98 on my two seperate PC's back in 2001 but I haven't had to do anything myself since 2003, I've had the money to get them repaired and all that hooplah. SO what do you think Ms. TechyCHick? Does that sound about right? Or are these Repair guys trying to get me to end up in their shop spending money on something I can do myself?

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Before you do anything else, check to be sure you do not have a restor feature on that Dell ( many of them came iwth it ) See this for how to use it if you have it.

Dell does not supply a Restore CD . . it is a Reinstallation CD and is exactly the same as the M/S OEM install CD with one exception . . when it reads a Dell BIOS, it will not ask for the Product Key nor will it have to be activated.

While you can use a M/S OEM version that matches your version ( Home, Pro or MCE ) with the Product Key on the bottom of the laptop, you can also request a replacement CD here . .

You can get a reinstallation guide specific to your Dell here
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...install/en/index?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

This is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

You can find the drivers for that laptop here:

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...=INS_PNT_CEL_1100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

8. bad method

Thanks MumDog. I actually called Dell lastnight and they are sending me the restore Disc free of charge. Thank you all who have responded so quickly and put up with so much. I am appreciate all your posts. I will mark this thread 'solved'. Thank you all again.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Why didn't I think of that . . .

10. nessyguin

nessyguin

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!