1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: need input/advice what kind of new laptop to get

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bp936, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

After putting my beloved 10 years old or so Toshiba on lifesupport 2 years ago, it shows signs of getting too hot again too often.
    Now I don't know what to replace it with, I am so used to XP and I see so many problems with Windows 8, would I be better off trying to find a Windows7 laptop? Can"t afford a Mac and it is probably too hard to learn its OS.
    I never play games, or download anything but use it for email and family pix organizing. I need 4 USB ports, because the new computers don't seem to have a modem, needed for dial-up to get some kind of device unfortunately.
    Any advise what brand is reliable? Is there a laptop with matte screen still? Will I have to replace my old programs, like Word and Paintshop Pro?
    I' ll appreciate any advise.

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    a few manufacturers are shipping windows 7 with an upgrade to 8 disk (in the UK , not sure of canada) - Lenono , HP you can specify W7 and also Dell to my knowledge
    So that maybe worth looking into

pretty much any machine will do - and quite a few offers (again in UK) on i3 and i5 laptopps (thats the CPU) with 4GB of memory

most likely - what version
    this site may help
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8/CompatCenter/Home

few machines may have 4 USB - most will have 2 or 3 USB , so that maybe the main factor as to which laptop you will have to buy
    also whats the budget ?

3. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

thank you for answering, I am looking at that link. Budget is upto 600 $, and the reason I ask about the programs, is that I read here that Windows 7 is closer to XP. I do take care of most arising problems myself, but in most stores now Windows 8 are on the computers.
    I also have an old Dell but that one is even older. Regarding USBs, I guess i will have to use the hub.
    Remembering JohnWill, I backup files immediately, since he is correct, one only has to loose once everything and I learned fast, to listen to good advise.

4. valis

valis Moderator

$600 will get you a LOT of computer these days....what you really have to do is decide what you are going to use it for....I could take a 600 machine and bring it to it's knees pretty easily, but the VAST majority of users out there are getting these for email and facebook. figure out what you are requiring as far as hardware goes and you could save yourself a good chunk of change.

5. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

thanks Tim, never facebook, just emails, being here on TSG and burning family pix, with now only 19Kbps it is not possible to do much. (I still live in the twilight zone) but I miss being here on TSG, laptop crashed too often recently.

6. valis

valis Moderator

oh definitely, 600 will get you all you need. If you want to stay on w7, you may have to hit ebay or amazon or some such, but for your need, I'd be surprised if you didn't get out for less than 600......

and say 'hi' to Mr. Serling for me......;)

7. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

ok, I will say Hi to him, maybe he is jamming my connections.
    and now that I got kicked out 3x (my connection) I think I will drive to town and look around what I can find. Or I have to look on Ebay or Kijiji (sells local stuff).
    I looked at the link etaf gave, looks like at least my printer will work with both new version of Windows.

8. valis

valis Moderator

if you have walmart or best buy up there, they should also have some machines you can at least look at and touch....

9. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

I did find a Dell Windows7 refurbished laptop but none can connect to internet, will have to find out Monday what happenef to my IP. Writing this on cell.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how are you connecting to the router with a wireless or cable connection

Check the wireless is switched ON
    theres often a physical switch or a combination of the FN and one of the F keys to toggle the wireless on/off
    often F2 is used - but note , not always - look for a symbol that looks a little like (( i ))

is the wireless on?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

lets see an ipconfig /all
    ipconfig /all

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
    Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

11. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

Yes thanks, I definitely will have to learn W7 but it is hard to do anything on the cell, will have to fix at least 1 laptop to connect to my favorite TSG. I1 cant get an answer to my IP, I will have to get some real person to talk to, I am with them for over 10 years so this is strange. I do what you said once I get internet back

12. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

A little problem, Windows 7 connect to internet but nothing happens, I have no idea how to set it up for dialup, whatever instructions I follow, first page of TSG DOES come up but then nothing happens when I click on anything.
    I can only connect to the internet per phoneline, do not have a router or wireless anything, not possible yet in my area.
    But here is the notepad input:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : m
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-2C-7B-B1-DD
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-E8-9D-2E-D3
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{C41CF0BB-BD3C-4E27-81B0-BB16C155911A}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{9B48A64C-CFBE-445C-A3AE-BB7CF6FB44A7}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

-----------

I can only use one computer at a time for internet, so I will have to hook line back to Dell to see if the notepad shows something else.
    There is a lot of change even on W7, I am learning where to find anything, but having internet would be good.

It only has Windows, do I need Java or something more? I did manage to install Firefox but no add-ons yet.
    Like always, any help is very much appreciated.

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you need to have a modem ?
    or is this a dial-up you are trying to connect to
    the PC may not have a modem in it to do that , a lot of PCs had the modem dropped

14. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

Yes, the modem is the reason I had to get a used computer, I ctotal will be 34 MB) if phone an hear it screeching to connect, it has the phoneplug I put the phoneline in. Believe me, I am very upset for years that no one has highspeed or wireless for me even so I live 20 minutes from many major cities away and not at the North Pole.
    I wonder if I have bought it with viruses already on it, even so it installed Windows after I opened it up and had to register at Microsoft, I used HJT from a USB and it shows stuff I have never seen so I try to download Spybot for USB key, it is running now for 6 hours and it is only half downloaded, (34 MB total) very frustrating,
    I understand if there is no help for me because of this. I am downloading to Toshiba to be able to put on an USB

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    we have moved from advice on a PC to fix an issue now

so we may need a little more information

you have two PCs
    1) Dell
    2) Toshiba

the Toshiba works and can connect to the internet via the dial-up
    the Dell recently purchased does NOT

is that correct

have you setup the dialup connection on the dell ?
    and what actually happens exactly through the process of connecting to the dial-up , as much detail as possible

if the toshiba works all OK - then ignore this - BUT if nothing is connecting to the dialup then

if you just pickup a normal phone and dial the number - do you hear it 1) ring 2) answer and 3) a noise trying to sync with you

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice