1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need Input On Refurbished Dell Latitude D630

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flavallee, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    My oldest teenage grandson is in need of a "cheap" laptop, so I bought him a refurbished Dell Latitude D630 from NEWEGG for $215.00 plus shipping.

It has a 14" display, an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, a 60 GB hard drive, a DVD/CDRW drive, and Windows XP Professional.

My decision to buy this laptop was based on Dell being more reliable than most other laptop brands - according to some members here.

Any input from the members here would be very much appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------

2. Dlaw

Dlaw

I consider the Dell D610, D620, and D630's like Volkswagen Beetles, they just keep going and going. I would recommend upgrading the ram though (Use the Crucial Memory Advisor at http://www.crucial.com). I think you can get 4gb in the D630s. That is if you feel comfortable doing the install. And if not, it would be a good project for the grandson.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    They are pretty good and reliable model, one of my clients used them at a mining site(in the offices and plant/mill) and everything there shakes a bit and is covered in the fine powder that they mill there, and they did very well as did the other d6xx models there.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I have a dell latitude d630 and it works great. I also bought it used.If you can put more ram in it and a bigger harddrive it should give many years of service. Mine has a 250 gb harddrive with the maximum ram for it and its on windows xp pro.You got it for a good price.

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I have the d610 that I use as a back up, and the only thing I did was upgrade it to 2 GB of ram and like was stated above, just like a VW beatle, keep on running:)

PS, Great price:)

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm not a big fan of any manufacturers and especially the way they customize things so that you are dependent on them for repairs and upgrades. Dell is among the worst of them.

But I'm using a Dell right now. It's an old GX520 that runs 7 flawlessly. In general, I think the Dells and Compaqs, as much as I dislike their designs, are built like tanks and usually are somewhat ahead of their time in hardware.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I like it having an Intel Core 2 Duo processor instead of the older Pentium IV or Pentium M. I already plan to increase the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB. The 60 GB hard drive will do fine because of how my grandson uses a computer.

Now it's a matter of waiting for it to arrive in a few days and seeing how it's set up and what's in it and if I'll need to do a format and clean reinstall of XP Pro.

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like I made a good choice.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Dell, HP, and Lenovo have great business class systems and they are not like the junk they peddle onto home consumers to compete with the utter crap from Acer, eMachine, and Gateway.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've owned nothing but desktops since I started using computers in 1997(except for a HP Pavilion laptop that my late wife got me in 2001), so my knowledge of laptop reliability is almost nil.
    I wanted to get a reliable used laptop for my grandson, and the comments that I've read in some threads here pointed towards Dell, so I went that route.
    I'll keep everyone advised of the outcome with this laptop.
    Again, thanks for all the input.

-------------------------------------------------------------

10. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I started out on a desktop with windows 98 but i got an ibm laptop used and was hooked on them ever since.i dont even have desktops in my house anymore mostly because i never felt comfortable working on them if something goes wrong.On a laptop i can change out a harddrive in minutes. To me ibm/lenovo and dell laptops have been for the most part trouble free. When they need work done its so much easier to carry in a laptop then a dekstop. lol!!!Just enjoy it and maybe you will see that laptops are nice to have in addition to a desktop if thats your preference.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Sue:

I have no real need to be mobile with a computer, so I prefer desktops over laptops.
    I inherited a Toshiba laptop last year and wound up giving it to my daughter after a few months.
    Besides desktops having much more upgradeability options than laptops do, I've seen more hardware and overheating problems with laptops than with desktops.

I didn't know you don't accept PM's - which I attempted to do before I submitted this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

I started on a laptop. Ruined it in the first 3 days, but told myself I was going to sit there until it worked again no matter how long it took. Then people started bringing their broken machines, then online, now here, and that letter from MS (which I replied to accusing them of sending me spam and being fake).

I thought at the time that desktops were ridiculous and huge. But now I much prefer desktops, the screen lighting, the fact that you can easily open them up, their expandability, and so on. I still have a nice laptop for travel and work, but its the desktop otherwise.

It's funny that so many people think laptops should be very cheap since they are so small. They just don't realize what is packed into that small space.

13. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I rarely take a laptop with me but a laptop doesnt take up a lot of space. Laptops might be small compared to a desktop but the ones i have bought new and used werent cheap pricewise or cheaply made.As far as monitor size i have several dell and one lenovo laptops with a 17 inch screen and to me thats big enough to work with. lol!!!I guess knock on wood ive been very lucky with mine and only had a few problems with screens going bad, a few motherboards gone bad, and a few harddrives.The hard drives got replaced and i was up and running.The motherboards and screen problems were on older used ones. I just had one board go out on a fairly new lenovo ideapad which i had bought brand new and i wasnt happy about it but at least i traded in for a brand new lenovo laptop.So all is well.Oh gosh flavellee im sorry about that i will change my settings so that moderators and advisors can contact me if needed.i apologize sincerely.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    No problem. You've been one of the primary members here who have spoken positively about Dell laptops, so I was going to get some input from you before submitting a thread. It's good though to get positive feedback from other members.

------------------------------------------------------------

15. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I will never recommend any computer brand or program to anyone unless ive personally used it or that i know that its worth it and safe to do so_Overall ive had fewer problems with my ibm/lenovo laptops then with the dells but again to be fair all of the dells were used older ones.I had only one newer dell go bad but it was my fault. Putting it on a cheap surge protector and having a power outage that killed the board wasnt one of my finer moments.Now i use good quality ones and have a whole house generator so i dont think ill have that problem again.I wont say how many laptops i have at the moment but i get teased that i could open up a computer store.Im not sure if its a hobby or an addiction. lol!!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1034914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice