1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: need login everytime for mail ?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jdemnyan1116, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

Every time I click on Send/Receive email, I get the window security box stating that I have to enter the username and password to log in. Didn't even know about windows security. Anyway, use Fireffox at my major browser, windows mail says that it uses the same settings at IE. Anyway, worked fine this morning, downloaded the latest Microsoft download, a biggie, and now thiss happens. The box is checked to remember the above username and password. Looked in windows options, security and found nothing pretaining to logging on every time. Like I said, never did this before, changed nothing except for the download. Not a virus or trojan, Ran Kaspersky security suite, Anit Malwaye bytes program, SAS program, and spybot and nothing showing. I think it has something to do with the download. Any help would be appreciated.

2. hewee

hewee

Did you see a new login box?
    I hate site that have a login box on the page and then another one that is a pop-up login box and then they change the site around and that makes you have to make a new login.

In Firefox look at your password manager and if you see more then one for the same site then you may want to clear the added ones or all and start over because you will not know what one you really need.
    Also look at the Exceptions because site listed there are marked as "don't remember password" and it will never remember your password and even you checking the box to remember it will not. So deleting it from there it should then after bring up that pop-up if you check to remember so you can then click remember button.
    You may want to delete the site first and then close Firefox down and open it again and look to see if the site is gone and then login again and it should work.

3. jdemnyan1116

It is not a web site. This is windows mail right out of the computer. Use windows mail instead of ISP mailbox. The last download was the update to Windows Defender, which started the whole mess. Did nothing to the computer but download the new Defender installation. As soon as you click on send./receive in windows mail, it shows the login box, from windows security, Will not remember the password at all. Does not use firefox for the mail, only internetr explorer. This is not a web site login, just windows mail.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    May be that the Windows Mail/IE security setting is too high and a cookie is not being saved or may be (more likely in my mind) that a cookie is corrupted. In the latter case the cookie will need to be deleted. I do not know Windows Mail at all. At some time (IE6 maybe?) IE was changed so that you could not delete individual cookies--delete all was the only option. Don't know if they've fixed that yet.

5. hewee

hewee

Don't know anything about windows mail. But the same things I said may be true and also same type of thing can happen to a cookie.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think hewee's idea is better than mine. Instead of looking for a cookie check out Windows Mail's password manager (or whatever it's called), delete the one for your account, and see if you only have to give it one more time.

7. jdemnyan1116

Stupid question, but where is Password Manager on Windows Mail. Got Vista Home Premium. Went all through Windows Mail tabs etc and did not find a password manager anywhere or I would of used it.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As previously mentioned, I do not know Windows Mail; but maybe a clue is in this quote from your initial post: "windows mail says that it uses the same settings at IE."

9. jdemnyan1116

Went into everything I could find in IE and Windows mail, found some advanced settings, etc. I went into IE,mail sewttings, anything that said password I redid along with the unername. Got rid of everything. Went back into IE after restart, went to properties, found a ftab, showed passwork and username entry, but the password was no there. Retyped in the password in the slot provided, restarted the computer, went to 'Windows mail, and it now works. It was in IE like I thought it would be but could not find the username or password area until a very DEEP check of every tab.
    Thanks for all the replys, the part with the cookies did help cause I did delete, cookies, history, temp files etc. Windows mail works good now. thanks again.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Glad my stumbling around helped some.

11. hewee

hewee

Glad you found and fixed it.

So you saying the IE setting is where you went?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice