1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need MB for Presario 6400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kgash, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kgash

kgash Thread Starter

I have an old Compaq Presarion 6400 that I use for test purposes and backup. I would like to replace the MB with one that supports SATA drives. Is this possible?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Compaq Presario 6400 series desktop has about 2 dozen models listed at the HP/Compaq support site.

If you don't know the exact model number of yours, advise what the product number(P/N) on the sticker is.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Replacing the motherboard with an non-original Compaq motherboard will legally require a new copy of Windows as well since the current version is only licensed for the Compaq product and it will not likely boot with a replacement board.

4. kgash

kgash Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

The only information I could find is Presario 6400nx.
    I don't need a direct replacement MB and I have already installed a new licensed version of XP for which I have the installation disk so I can do a reinstall once the new MB is in.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Compaq Presario 6400NX (DA234A) desktop came with Windows XP Home Edition SP1 installed, so it's about 10 years old.

-------------------------------------------------------------

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's a really system, you sure you want to invest money into it?

You'd have to find a motherboard that supports that processor, Socket A/462, and you'll be pretty much looking on eBay to find one of those. Here's some: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Motherboard...=r1&_dcat=1244&Socket%20Type=Socket%20462%2FA
    The NForce 2 chipset based motherboards can come with SATA and are pretty much the best boards for a Socket A system, the VIA motherboards were awful.

I assume you've upgrade the memory from the original 128MB?

You'll also need a Molex to SATA power adapter unless you have a newer power supply: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816029

As an alternative you can still get PATA/IDE drives or a you can buy a SATA PCI controller card to add to you existing computer but you may or may not be able to boot from an add-in PCI card.

As an even better alternative you can pick up really cheap used systems that are newer like these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Id=1&name=Desktop PCs&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20

7. kgash

kgash Thread Starter

Thanks for convincing me that it is impractical to do what I wanted. I will stumble along with the system until it fails and then get something newer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice