1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need More Memory or New Machine? System freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MCBride, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MCBride

MCBride Thread Starter

SPECS:
    Compaq Deskpro EP/SB
    Running Windows XP Professional SP2
    Pentium II, 256 MB SDRAM w/ 3 slots
    400 MHZ

How can I tell if I can increase the memory on this machine? Currently have 3 slots running 256 MB SDRAM. Can I increases to 512MB or is it time for a new machine? System freezes when running more than 3 different programs. Each time I have to restart, I get an error that date and time is not correct and some message about system information is incorrect.

Any advice is helpful, thanks.:(

2. paul_doo

paul_doo

That poor p-2 tring to run XP I would suggest its time for an upgrade.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

System freeze isn't pointing the way to adding more ram. It's asking we find the reason for the freeze as 768 ram should be plenty. Now are any of these 256 sticks recently added, because that is almost impossible to do right by just adding any old ram in.
    have you checked startup for conflicting programs or too much running in the background at once...have you checked temps of cpu and moptherboard as well as fan speeds to see if there is a cpu fan problem and I would also run online virus and spyware scans as they will cause this quicker than anything...
    www.ewido.net
    www.bitdefender.com
    for reading temps:
    http://www.techspot.com/downloads/1871-sensorsview.html

4. MCBride

MCBride Thread Starter

I think there is a problem with the motherboard. I am also unable to play audio while online. Plus it sounds as if there is something loose inside the cpu.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Time to open the case an look around and if you are not familiar with the inner workings, seek help.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Honestly, its time to replace it. You won't believe how much nicer a new computer will run.

7. MCBride

MCBride Thread Starter

Thanks. I think you are right. I added the extra memory to the max and I still have a problem with audio while online.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice