1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need Network Troubleshooting Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BratDawg, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    I have 4 computers on a mixed WinXP Pro and Vista network with a linksys wireless router and dsl.

One WinXp machine is plugged directly into the wireless router with Cat5 cable and there is a desktop with a linksys wireless card and 2 laptops.

The workgroup I named Workgroup. Each computer has a unique computer name. The computer that is wired directly to the router is called JOY-DELL.

I can see the other computers and they can see this Dell, but when they try to access it, they get a message access denied. Error Code 0x80070005. The other WinXp machine said that it might not have permission, contact the administrator, etc.

On Joy-Dell, file & printer sharing is enabled. Folders are shared.

They all have AVG Internet Security and I went into the firewall settings and made the linksys router 192.168.0.1 to 25 safe zones, also setting for Small Network. I even at one point disabled the firewalls.

They can ALL get on the internet just fine, which tells me it's something else.

HELP??

Thanks. I'll check back tomorrow - going to go home. :( I lost tonight.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like you have permissions errors. Have you disabled ALL firewalls first? Next, let's try this fix for anonymous access on each system.

Create a file in notepad named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
    1)Filename : FIXANON.REG
    2)Save as type: all files
    3)Encoding: ANSI
    If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be FIXANON.REG.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

------------------- Use text after this line -------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
    ------------------- Use text before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Reboot the computer.

3. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    Thanks! This worked for the 2 xp machines. The vista laptop is still receiving an error when it tries to access the desktop JOY-DELL.

On the Laptop, in Network, I see all 3 computers. I can connect to the other desktop (HPPC), but when I try to connect to JOY-DELL desktop, I get a message that it can't access it. The network path was not found. Can't seem to delete it and try to refind it.

The other desktop now has no trouble accessing the Dell machine.

Thanks.

4. JohnWill

Can you ping each machine from the other two by computer name?

Let's see this from each of the three machines.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

Note that there is a space before the -n or the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the - or / in the following commands.

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    I got the vista and the dell to connect to each other but now the hppc is not being allowed to access the dell pc. It can access the vista machine tho.

I HATE network problems! :(

6. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    The nbstat -n command on the HPPC gave the following:

HPPC 00 Unique Registered
    Workgroup 00 Group Registered
    HPPC 20 Unique Registered
    Workgroup IE Group Registered

The IPconfig gave ip address of 192.168.1.104, def gateway 192.161.1, dns 10.0.0.2

The gateway laptop gave similar results with the ip address being 192.168.1.103

The Joy-Dell desktop gave me similar but with the addition of a Joy-Dell 1F Unique Registered line in the nbtstat command results and an IP address of 192.168.1.100.

I have the firewall enabled on the Dell computer and the laptop. On the HPPC I have it disabled. While you're looking a this, I'll see if AVG's firewall configuration is set to allow that high of a range of safe addresses. I'm not all that familiar with avg firewall but I think I found where that's set.

7. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    on th Joy-Dell in the Firewall settings the following changes:

Firewall settings, Profiles, Defined adapters - all changed to Safe. A linksys adapter and the realtek adapter (which is the one built into the mob) were "unsafe".

The IP address has IP Address Mask checked and the parameters of 192.168.100 and 255.255.255.0. Will this allow all computers within the 100 range to connect? There will never be more than that so that would be ok.

8. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    The Gateway Laptop Firewall Settings has:
    All adapters connected to safe networks: Safe
    Wireless Adapter: Safe (I changed this to safe - it was unsafe)

Ip Address/Mask: 192.168.1.103 and 255.255.255.0

9. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    They all seem to be working now - not sure what tinkering did the trick. Probably all. I messed with the firewall settings a bit too.

Thanks for the help!

10. JohnWill

Cross your fingers! :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/800246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice