Solved: Need New Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

golfnut22

I have a Gateway MT 6705 laptop that has a 5400 SATA hard drive. It has died and I want to replace it. Can I use a 7200 SATA HD? Thank you

No problem. The 5400 and 7200 are speeds in rpm. Done this loads of times and even with SSD in size between 128Gb to 500Gb.

If you do not want to re-install the system you can clone the disk with a Linux (free for download). The procedure is here. There is a good chance your system will run again in the new disk if it was just a failed system file that stoped you laptop from booting up.

The 5400 rpm is obviously a bit slower. That is all. Many units are sold for both speeds with the 7200rpm model at about extra 25% premium.

golfnut22

I am going to install the new 7200 RPM HD on Friday. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for the help

golfnut22

Hi, Installed the new 7200 HD yesterday. Works great. Thanks so much for the help.;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online