1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need new Laptop, No Vista. Processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Voodoo Thumb, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Voodoo Thumb

Voodoo Thumb Thread Starter

At Dell, I can get a Vostro laptop. I want a duo core processor. Should I avoid the Sempron or Athlon processor, and go with the Intel? I don't mind spending a few extra bucks if it will be less hassle in the long run.
    Windows XP is considered a downgrade, but I have to pay extra for it. Gotta love that. But I read all the complaints about Vista, I know I don't need that.
    Jeeze, should I consider a Mac?

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Perhaps you could actually go with Vista. :)

3. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

I'd go intel and vista. granted that's just my opinion. I do not like the sempron line though, they just seem to be sluggish and mediocre at best. Athlons are ok though never had any bad luck with those. A lot of the things you've heard about VISTA are either exaggerated or not true at all. vista isn't the devil but XP is still a good OS.

Mac's aren't that bad either. Don't expect to do a whole lot of gaming though

4. arknorth

arknorth

And now from the front lines...

XP - thank you.

I have dealt with too many customer problems with Vista - its almost as bad as it was when ME was around. It was nice having a few years of XP bliss (save for the nightmare of when it first came out, and unlike then, when the problems were sorted out rather quickly, Vista just isn't doing the same cleanup as XP did).

And it's not too hard to find deals - for example (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0281176)
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0293727

Yes, Vista has a bad rap - some of it is hearsay - some of it is true - heck, even XP has its faults, but I sure don't need a Gig of Ram just to run it.

A-N

5. Voodoo Thumb

That laptop with XP on it, it looks great! In Store Pickup only in California, and they are sold out. I wish it was available for me to buy. Thanks for the input.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW the "problems" you hear about are people trying to run old hardware and or software. I have three systems here all running vista enterprise. A C2D 6850 with a p35 chipset board, an amd 6400+ with an ati chipset board, and even an old dual core pentium 940 on an intel 945 chipset board. All work flawlessly.

7. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

i do agree with the gig of ram thing though i won't even install vista unless i have that, i see alot of computers that come my way with 512mb ram and vista it just doesn't work that well, and all the pretty gadgets dont work at all.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

True enough; my low end system [dual core 940] has 2gig of ram. The rest have 4gig.

9. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Still, after two years? In this age of instant communication? If so, perhaps that may be a fiting epitaph for the old fat gal (no offense meant to old fat gals).

10. Compiler

Compiler

Voodoo Thumb: I am one who refuses to install vista on my hardware. Only about 10~11% of business actually bothered to install Vista. Most, when they bought their PCs with vista, simply upgraded back to XP.

You should try it out.... perhaps it'll work out for you. XP notebooks costs more than vista notebooks. Example, I have Vista notebook I have setup for a client. He paid $550 for it at best Buy: AMD x2 CPU (2.0Ghz), 2GB RAM, 17" monitor, 250GB HD and easily better 3D graphics ability over an intel chipset.

A typical business class notebook with XP will cost you $600~1800.... and there are rarely deals. A few months ago, I bought a ThinkPAD with XP for $600 off the shelf from Microcenter. :)

I don't like Dell notbooks much. A thinkpad is better built.
    Lenovo 3000 series notebooks are discountinued... the more flashy IdeaPADs is what they're pushing.

So if you're doing just web-site stuff and basic office work, you do well with Vista.
    If you're more business oriented or prefer to have more control over your computer - you may want to stick with XP. Consider this... MS has been forced to extend the life of XP 3 times now. I've had this Vista notebook for a few days... it runs pretty good, generally. Some things are WAAAAY slower than XP still... and Vista flat out does some pretty stupid things to make life harder. It's does so little (other than flashy windows) yet required 3-4 times the resources. Thats why todays standard computers have 2GB of RAM. Here's my chart:
    512mb Vista = 128mb XP
    1GB Vista = 256mb XP
    2GB Vista = 512mb XP
    3GB Vista = 1GB XP
    4GB Vista = 2GB XP.

If getting a computer with Vista... get at least a DUAL CORE CPU, AMD or Intel. As long as they are NOT Celeron or Sempron of any type! That also includes Dual Core Pentiums.

So I would recommend ordering a Thinkpad from www.lenovo.com
    - You can order it with Vista Business edition ($25+ upgrade) and include a free DVD of XP Recovery installer disc.

- Most notebooks on the market DO NOT have XP drivers... so you can't upgrade to XP if you want.

- ThinkPads come with matte LCD displays... none of that glossy junk. Where you can see your face and everything else on the monitor, the glare of lamps or overhead lights, etc.

- ThinkPads include roll-cages (full cage on 14" models), keyboard light, anti-spill keyboard (has drainage holes)... very solid computers.

- Delivery time is about 8~10 days.

Thinkpad: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=8FA114A7D9FF4F38AE8E19B36EC665A7

An R-Series 15", Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, 2GB, 160GB HD, DVD burner, Vista business + XP = about $950. The T series is more upscale, includes docking option and internal WAN abilities... is about $1150.

Mine was $600 because it was a stock unit at Microcenter, 1GB RAM and a dual core Pentium (a bit slow), DVD burner... but it came with XP-Pro. No frills, but works for me.

11. Compiler

Compiler

12. Voodoo Thumb

Thanks to all of you, expecially Compiler and arknorth. I feel like I can make a knowledgeable decision about purchasing a lap top now, with all this good info under my belt. Many thanks.

13. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Just my two cents, but if you already have a pc, remember that if you are replacing the old one with the new, you can use your existing XP if you decide you don't like Vista.

MBN

14. Compiler

Compiler

Only if:
    - XP on current computer is a retail version
    - The notebook has to have supported drivers from the manufacture for Windows XP. XP will install on any notebook - but without custom drivers for video, audio, networking... it kind of makes the notebook useless.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice