1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: need new printer!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suzeeq, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suzeeq

suzeeq Thread Starter

Hi everyone - I am looking into buying a new printer and would like a few pointers on the best models, specifications, ongoing running costs etc..... If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Is this for home use only?

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Thats a tall order for ths forum. Really the only way your going to get all this is going to the individual websites of the manufacturers.

Maybe narrow down what your looking for (type) and even some brand preferences. Also you want to take a ton of things into consideration.

Is this to be direct connect or networked?
    Is this to be color or Black and white?
    Is this to have a certain numbers of PPM?
    Is the connection interface important? I.E. is there a specific one it HAS to have.
    Do you want inkjet or toner based?
    Do you require security on the printer?
    Do you require the printer to be a certain size?

If your just looking for things to compare to make a decision I think narrowing down the list above will help out alot. The main things I look at in printing is interface, ease of setup, pages per minute, and appx print life. but what I look for in a printer and what you may be looking for may be totally different.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might mention what kind of money you're willing to spend also. :)

5. michael_jii

michael_jii

if you're not sure about all stumped techy's questions, just tell us what you want to use it for, give a budget, and perhaps any other questions you may have.

6. suzeeq

suzeeq Thread Starter

Thankyou all for your prompt replies!!!!

The printer I require is for a small home business (printing of invoices etc) and for 2 high school students- so colour and black and white would be preferable. A basic printer (scanning and photocopying option not really required) with a good dpi for picture printing would also be preferable. PPM is not really an issue. Ability to buy generic cartridges and refills would be nice! I was looking at paying around $150.

Thanks again.........

7. frankjohn

frankjohn

Look into HP desk jet , lexmark, or canon, price range 90.00 180.00

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

yeah with these requests anything should work.

specifications, ongoing running costs - this part made me think this was needed for something extrodinary like a workgroup setting or some kind of larger business.

10. suzeeq

suzeeq Thread Starter

Thanks again - NoYb, I have been looking into the HP 1610 and it seems to be packaged nicely - could you tell me if you can refill the cartridges and if you can buy the generic brand cartridge for this model? Thankyou................Susan

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

No - I think you're confined to HP for the cartridges.
    In fact - I just tried to refill my cartridges because they were getting almost empty... all went well.
    But when my color should have gone empty - I got a cartridge error and the printer refused to work till I replaced it.
    They make thier money on the cartidges - this is how they can give you an All in One for $100.

I'm waiting to see if the B&W does the same.
    I think they make a cartridge chip reset device for the Epson models.
    Some refill info here ...
    http://www.stratitec.com/inkrefill/support/hplowink.html

12. suzeeq

suzeeq Thread Starter

Thanks for that info NoYb - I may have to look for another model as the ongoing ink cartridge costs would be a killer for me! Anyhow, I have some specifications to go on now so I'll be looking for same dpi quality etc. with the ability to purchase generic cartridges or refill the existing one as well. Will check your link............Thanks again, Susan

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Epson chip reset device ...
    http://secure.stratitec.com/product_info.php?products_id=1094
    You'll probably need to see if the Epson model you pick - uses one of the listed cartridges.
    I get my refill kits at Sams Club.

I think the newer models - may be getting around this to prevent re-filling.

I'm going to reclaim my older HP printer that I handed down to the Wife ... because I can refill them. Hopefully - this will also curtail her shopping habits.:D
    I may even start looking for older printers for everyday printing chores.

You're welcome
    Jay

14. suzeeq

suzeeq Thread Starter

Thanks again Noyb - I dont think Sams club delivers to Australia though! Checked your previoius link - very clever way to trick the computer if it works! I will also check this new link - Regards, Susan.

15. Deathblow

Deathblow

Actually, this printer is very simular to mine, and does indeed take generic cartridges. I use the ones from Atlas Business system and have been using them for years. I'm not sure if you can refill or not, but you can get cheaper remanufactured ones. Also, there is currently a rebate on that printer from HP.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...e_type=storefronts&category=sp_seasonal_promo

Here's a link for the place I get my ink :http://www.printerrefillkit.com

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice