Solved: Need solution for a 2 way computer network!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

3nill

ok, i've spent the last 2 days, all day, trying to get my pc connected to my fathers pc, so he can share my internet and files. he requires the internet within 2 days or he'll fail his uni assignment, i've offerd he use my pc but his work etc is on his and his simply to bummed about the internet breaking at such a bad time to bother.

i used to be able to do this until yesterday i unpluged my pc into my friends pc, we played battlefield 2 for hours, shared .avi's etc, and then i rebooted my pc, and i couldn't connect to my friend again, then i tryed my father, and i couldn't connect to him ethier.

it isn't the first time i've swaped my dads pc with a friends for an afternoon. i've been doing it with lots of different friends every weekendish.

usually i can plug my pc into any machine that turns up into my house and it shares my folders that i have set as "shared" and my internet automatically.

i have ruled out a virus because i have norton corporate edition updated and functional.

note: i'm a noob at networking

i've seached all sorts of different forums for an answer, i've tryed doing the manual way that some people have suggested entering

PC1:

PC2:

into the TCP/IP that never works.

i've got frozen "renewing ip address" and then an explorer crash or simply an error saying it can't complete

i used to have a "circumventor" installed from peacefire.org along with peral and openSA, they have never given me any network trouble in the past but i thort i'd add that in incase it helps you at all.

i've gotten "limited or no connectivity"

i've even got "connected" at the moment, but when i turn off the other pc it doesn't even notify me that a cable has been unpluged. i've tryed different cables, i've checked the cards, i havn't checked the card drivers but i doubt thats the problem, these are new machines.

i've tryed the network wizard countless times, once it make somehting called "bridged connections" when i only have 2 pc's

i tryed using "ipconfig /release +ipconfig /renew" because i had read forums that said this fixes things.

i have zone alarm pro on both machines, i have them turned off, and i check that they are off each reboot, same with windows firewall.

all i want is to have two pc's connected to each other with ICS enabled and files shared

i use a dial-up internet connection. it's a dual ISDN 128k connection.

i will do whatever is necessary, and post any information you require:confused:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
All machines are must be in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.0.x where x is any number. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 for most small networks. No duplicate IP addresses should exist.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

TerryNet

Terry
When you set a static IP on your computer's ethernet connection you messed up ICS. So, before you go through JohnWill's scenario I suggest:

On both your and father's computer set TCP/IP to 'obtain IP auto ...'. With the cross-over cable connected, run the Network Setup Wizard from the Control Panel making sure you specify file and printer sharing and that your computer shares its internet and that your father's gets internet from another computer. Restart your computer; restart father's.

Your ethernet IP should be 192.168.0.1, and your father's is likely 192.168.0.2. Now pay close attention to John's steps.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You're right, I was ignoring ICS, which I try to do whenever possible. :)

3nill

"we've done all that stuff" he said, i told him today about the forum, he looked at my post and the first thing he said to me "first, you've told them the wrong things". as skinnywhiteboy pointed out, i mistyped "192.168.0.2" twice, i was ment to say for the 2nd pc "192.168.0.3", dad went over all the posts and said he'd tryed all that and it still doesnt work. his been at it for hours, his been going thru the the microsoft troubleshooting and he'd already posted threads on the hp support forums etc and followed steps there and others. he also pointed out that my spelling was embarrassing.

i figured it out, after all that, it was a very simple thing.

thanks to johnwill

"..........Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking."

i had zone alarm pro uninstalled on my dads machine, but it was still installed on mine, it was "shut down".

i tryed to see if it worked after what johnwill said, and, as soon as ZA said "turning off true vector" i get a pop-up in the corner of the screen "local area network connected"

i feel like an idiot. i'm going to go throw up now. your feedback was fast and it was good.

Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, in your defense, it's not obvious that after disabling the stupid thing that it should still bite you. However, after actually having experienced that and Norton's Internet Security affecting things after being disabled, I remove them completely. :)

TerryNet

Terry
Yeh, it's also far from obvious why the problem occurred in the first place.

Message to dad: In case of future networking trouble or your son's computer going out of commission for a day or two consider what it would cost (if anything) to get your computer directly on the internet. Assuming you have dial-up service, maybe you need a dial-up modem for your PC? Or a longer phone cord to reach your PC? Or maybe you just need a few minutes configuring your PC to use your service directly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online