1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need some anti-virus and firewall advice…

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mischievousbimbo, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mischievousbimbo

mischievousbimbo Thread Starter

I first had an anti-virus program (McAfee) for my Desktop Computer. After the first year I would get downloaded DAT’s for a further year at a reduced rate. This continued until this January. (3 years in total) When it was due again this year I was told there were no further updates for that version so had to renew to a full version.

Now I also got a laptop as a Christmas gift and thought one anti-virus program would secure both the Desktop and Laptop but was told I would need two…….This is out- with my budget at this time so thought I could download a free version from the net which would cover the Laptop, this program (AGV) did advise it was not suitable for using with a network and after downloading it, I couldn’t get online so uninstalled it.

Now at the moment I prefer using the Laptop so renewed my anti-virus to this but my Desktop has my Printer attached and I also transfer files between both computers and wondered if there was any safe measures anyone could recommend to tide me over.

Another problem along these same lines is that since getting the new anti-virus program downloaded onto the Laptop, I’ve had problems with my network. It seems to be a problem with the Firewall. I have set the virus program to accept I.P addresses from my range and that seems ok but if I have the Windows own Firewall on, on either computer then I can’t connect, which leaves the Desktop even more vulnerable as there is no protection there at all except maybe some from the router and even that
    I’m not sure about

I appreciate anyone who has had the patience to read this to this point as I know I am not very good at explaining so only hope that somebody can understand and maybe give me some good advice.

Regards
    Mischievous

PS Desktop is connected through wires (can't remember what they're called ::p while the Laptop is wireless. Not sure this matters but ......

2. bigbear

bigbear

3. mischievousbimbo

It's to late I've already bought and downloaded the new McAfee as I was afraid to be online and after the free AVG one not supporting networking I thought maybe I'd have the same problem with any others. Mind you I have a 30day trial with the one I've just downloaded so maybe if I could get some more info, I'd find something that could suit me better.

Regards
    Mischievous :)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I had trouble following you as you switched back and forth between anti-virus and firewall.

While you didn't say, I infer that you are using a router. If so, the router gives you great firewall protection from incoming attacks. Also the Windows XP SP2 firewall gives adequate protections from incoming attacks. The exception would be if you are inviting the world to use your wireless. Make sure that your wireless is secured and you will be pretty safe.

Of course if you are concerned about outgoing attacks (e.g., spyware "calling home") then you will still need a 3rd party firewall.

I, and many others, think that Grisoft's free AVG anti-virus compares well with the expensive ones. Don't know what you mean by not supporting networks. It protects against viruses regardless of where they originate.

5. mischievousbimbo

Thank you for your reply. I will try to explain a little better. At first as I was downloaded the free version of AVG I noticed it said it was not suitable to be used on networks, I ignored this info and went ahead but maybe on reflection I had the problems as my Desktop was still covered by McAfee.Now I realise that I am still having problems with the fully paid virus program but quess it's because I don't understand the FIREWALL settings.

My Desktop is wired to the NETGEAR router, my Laptop connects to the internet Wireless. First I set the router up wired then changed it to wireless, I then set up a home network to share files/printer and all was fine till my old anti virus ran out and I had to get the new stuff which has this firewall thing too.

So outcome is, when I let it's firewall do it's own thing, I still put on both the Laptop/Desktop Windows Firewall but then couldn't access my files on my workgroup as it kept saying not authorized but if I put the firewalls off then I could......so in the end, I have only left the McAfee Firewall on, on this Laptop, no windows firewall here or on the Desktop but somehow I'm worried I'm doing it all wrong but feel I really want to be able to share my files between the two computers.

Hope this is a little clearer...probably not :p

Could you answer me this...wether bought or free, if you had a laptop and a desktop, would you download two seperate anti-viruses and also run Firewalls on both computers?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "if you had a laptop and a desktop, would you download two seperate anti-viruses and also run Firewalls on both computers?"

I use Norton Anti-Virus on my desktop (just out of loyalty as Norton and McAfee were early "protectors" in this business) and AVG free Anti-Virus on my two laptops. Windows XP SP2 firewall on all three.

All three are set for file and printer sharing. When I use my laptop on a public hotspot I set the XP firewall to "no exceptions."

I also have Windows Defender running on all three, and once in a while scan with Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and Spybot - Search & Destroy.

7. mischievousbimbo

Thank you so very very much for your reply Terrynet. As I have this new version of McAfee, there is a 30day trial period, so what I'll do is take it off this Laptop and download it back onto my Desktop and that will stay there as the router and printer are wired to that. Then I'll try again the AVG on this Laptop and maybe it will just be working out how to set the firewalls. I am so pleased to hear that I will (WITH LUCK) be able to have some security on both. So that is my job for today. I'll let you know how I get on ::D

Oh, just another thought, I also thought I read on here that you shouldn't have conflicting anti-virus programs running!!! Oh..............Well, I'm going to take your advice and try it out.

PS If you don't hear from me telling you everything worked out OK, then you'll know I can't get online.....Hehehe and something went wrong....

Regards
    Mischievous

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I also thought I read on here that you shouldn't have conflicting anti-virus programs running!!!"

It is correct that you should not have multiple anti-virus nor multiple firewall programs running.

9. mischievousbimbo

Do you see where I get confused? I thought you shouldn't use different anti-virus but then you say you use Norton and AVG but now believe it's ok to use two different ones as long as they are on different computers. Is that correct now?

I hope so as I've just been following your advice and put my McAFEE on my Desktop and downloaded avast for my Laptop. I have also put on both computers XP Firewall and there is also a Firewall with the McAFEE and for the moment things seem to be OK. I am still able to share files/printer.

I hope now I have followed your advice and thank you very much for your time. Should I mark this thread solved?

Regards
    Mischievous :(y) ::) :)

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... but now believe it's ok to use two different ones as long as they are on different computers."

Yes; sorry for the confusion. And, yes, it sounds like you're ready to mark this solved. Happy and safe computing. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice