1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need something for recording, but not exacly sure what...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lightning89, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightning89

lightning89 Thread Starter

Geez, two topics in one day. I must really be getting annoying for some of you guys. >_>;

Anyway, i'm after something that will let me record video straight from a TV onto my PC. I'm not exacly sure what I need, something external would be ideal.

I've had a quick look on the internet and discoverd that I may need something called a 'Capture Card.' If this is the case, does anyone have any advice and recommendations I might find usful? I live in the UK, so it's sites like Ebuyer and PC World i've been looking at, but i'm not 100% sure what to buy...

If they would be any use, my PC specs are;

CPU: 3ghz intel pentium 4
    Memory: 2x 512MB DDR 400 Ballistix RAM
    HDD: 80GB IDIE Internal, 160GB WD External
    GFX: 128MB Nvidia Galaxy

Again, thanks alot in advance,

- Lee

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

PC world maybe convenient but they are pricey.

It would be cheaper to go internal like you say a Capture Card.

Externally there are things like Dazzle and DVDXpress
    or Ads Dvd Express Dx2

3. lightning89

Thanks alot for the reply. I don't mind paying alittle extra for it to be external, and after checking out those links there I don't mind paying those kind of prices.

I checked eBuyer for the 'Dazzle' product and managed to find this;

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/107376

It looks like it could be an updated version of it or something, seems to do the same kind of thing anyway. Looking at the product itself though, i'm not sure it'll be for what i'm after. What I was trying to do was record footage direct from a TV, as it's happening. For example, say I have my Xbox 360 plugged into the TV, I was after recording the gameplay on screen. Looking at this, I would have to plug the console directly into the device, meaning i'd have to use the monitor screen to record and play the game, right?

Do you know if this method would work? Or if there is another way to record from the TV set as the game is being played on screen, if even possible?

Thanks again.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

No I don't think so It records immediately......I used a scart adapter with RCA jacks and S-Video out on it and it plays on the TV and the PC at the same time.

I will tell you that I tried Dazzle but it had a issue so I took it back and got DVD Xpress but that model has been discontinued they make Dvd Express Dx2 now, but maybe just a one off about Dazzle.

I have recored TV shows and from my VCR etc......must confess haven't used it for recording games

5. lightning89

Then I guess that's what I need too, which I'll have to buy seperatly. It should work in exacly the same way when recording games, I guess...

And this is what i'm afraid of, paying £40 for one of these things and then them not working proply. If you say DVD Express Dx2 is the newer product they make, will that mean that it should be better then the Xpress model they used to produce? Just trying to think logically here, but there's a chance it might not. xD I think i'll leave the Dazzle model for now, and maybe take a look around eBay to see what there is on there.

6. lightning89

Allright, first off I'm sorry to bump an old topic, and to double post.

I decided to buy one of those Dazzle products and try it out, however the video quality wasn't very good and the audio lagged pretty badly. I've sent it back now and am considering buying an Internal Card. I've 2 PCI slots free on my mobo (I think) and plenty of HDD space to install it and stuff. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which card to buy, providing it's up for sale in the UK. I've took a look on such sites as Ebuyer and Overclockers and there is plenty to choose from, I just don't want to be buying something usless again.

As I said before, i'm after recording from an analouge TV. Mainly footage from games consoles such as the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii, so I can edit the video and stuff in After Effects. Comments much appreciated!

Thanks,
    - Lee

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Thought you read that about Dazzle?

Bear in mind that your Video card is not high specs too.

Intenal card is the way to go ...the only reason for me using an external was a I have a laptop...

Have you got some cards in mind and got the links to them

8. lightning89

I did, but I was an idiot and went ahead and bought it anyway. I never seem to have any luck with stuff like this at all, which is why i'm posting here I guess. xD

Would it make a differnece what specs my Video Card is? As in, if a bought a Capture Card with the specs I had now, would I notice a differnce with the video quality if I had a better spec Video Card?

I do, but I've no idea if they will be;
    1. Any good for what I want or 2. Worth the money quality-wise.

-http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123725
    -http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/121736
    -http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/8976

First one's alittle overly-expensive, but is this the sort of thing I'm after?

Thanks for replying too, bonk!

9. bonk

bonk Banned

10. bonk

bonk Banned

11. lightning89

Aha, that one looks excellent. Even has the RGB slots on it, and at not a too bad price too.

The only problem I see, is I will be plugging the consoles straight into the card via RGB, meaning i'd have to play the games or whatever via the PC while recording. I've a friend who has a card like this, and he said the video on the PC itself lagged alittle when playing the game, making him mess up alot. However, apparently there is a way to record from the TV by using a 'breakout box.' I've attatched an image of my friends, but i'm not too sure on how it would work.

He says what he did was plug the breakout box into the Capture Card, then a spare RGB cable into the other end of the box and into the TV. This allowed him to record from there somehow, but i'm not 100% sure how. I mean, if he had it plugged into differnet RGB ports than to what the games console was wouldn't it record a differnet AV channel completely? Sorry if that sounded confusing, because it certinly sounds it to me. @[email protected];

I really appreciate all your help man.

Attached Files:

12. bonk

bonk Banned

That one in the link I gave you is I believe a good card...it doesn't have the bells and whistles like the other ones but who needs them.

Not sure about the way to record and play a game but you would basically need a sort of splitter that would split the Video and Audio to travel to 2 places one for recording and one for viewing and playing on the TV.

My TV has RGB on the front and scart on the back...so I plugged my game RGB into the front and used a scart plug with in?out switch on it and played the game and recorded it from the scart switched on Out to the PC.......this may not work for your set up

However you can't try anything without the capture card first...and yes the video card is important as it tranfers it to the screen as a picture but one step at a time.

13. lightning89

Hmm, it sounds like the method you tried is different to what my friend does. I'm tempted to order the Card tonight, but i'm still worried i'm going to end up wasting my money again. I'd buy a better video card after I try out the Capture Card, hopefully it'll just work fine so I can save my money. Hopefully. xD

On my TV itself I have 2x SCART sockets, 2x RGB 3pin sockets and an S-Video one. Seems definatly like enough, it's just a case of finding a way to split the two as you said, which could be tricky. My friends going to show me exacly how he sets his up tonight on webcam via MSN once he finishes work. If it seems to make sense, I'll order the card tomorrow and see how it goes. Do you have any idea where I could find out of those breaker things like he has?

Thanks for all your help again, much appreciated!

- Lee

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why not a TV Tuner card in the PC?

15. lightning89

Hey John, what would that do? I thought that all that did was allow you to watch TV via your computer...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice