1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need to access a SCSI Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrdavid68, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrdavid68

jrdavid68 Thread Starter

Long story short.. An office I help out had a RAID Array crash without a backup. The data has been recovered and is sitting on a Fujitsu Hard Drive (Model: MAX3036NC).

My computer, and the remaining working computers in the office are all IDE or SATA architecture.

I'm guessing there is a PCI SCSCI Card that I could buy, install this hard drive and access it that way. If that is the case, could someone recommend a card/manufacturer that would work for this case?

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: We also have a laptop available if there is a PC-Card solution.

Thanks,

2. jrdavid68

jrdavid68 Thread Starter

I'm still digging. It appears to be an 80 pin "centronix like" connection. Some sort of external drive enclosure would be easiest for me in this case.

3. jrdavid68

jrdavid68 Thread Starter

Ok, so I have an 80pin drive designed for a RAID controller. Can I buy a converter to go from 80pin to 68pin on the hard drive, buy a SCSI controller card (PCI I assume) and attach it in a machine that currently uses an IDE drive as it's primary drive?

I would want the SCSI drive to act like a secondary drive in the machine - how would that work? Which drive is it going to see first? I don't see how I would tell the BIOS and the SCSI interface which drive does what.

Sound like I am on the right track?

Thanks,

4. jrdavid68

jrdavid68 Thread Starter

Next question, the office does have a new server with a new RAID set up. Is it possible to plug this drive in to one of the open bays but configure it as separate hard drive that is not a part of the ARRAY?

5. jrdavid68

jrdavid68 Thread Starter

Done. Got a SCSI card, visited three Frye's before I found an 80 to 68 pin converter. Data has been restored.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/587361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice