1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need to ask question on what is compatible with Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by hisbeauty4ashes, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hisbeauty4ashes

hisbeauty4ashes Thread Starter

Hi all I just got an early Christmas present and now I get to figure out how it all works. I am not sure where to post this question.

What is compatible with Windows 8 64 bit. Like which zip file is safe to use? Is Superanti spyware compatible? Malware Bytes is that compatible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because this system is another beast..:mad:

2. gurutech

gurutech

Personally, I use Malware Bytes and AVG Anti-Virus. Both applications will work on 32-bit and 64-bit OS. Win8 has a built-in "zip" file explorer, similar to Win7, Vista, and even WinXP. So you don't "need" to download anything (like WinZip) to do this. I'm only mentioning this because I looked through the Win8 App Store, and saw they are selling Winzip for $8 or so.

Generally, anything that worked with Win7 will work with Win8. There are a few exceptions (such as AVG 2012 won't work, but AVG 2013 will.)

3. hisbeauty4ashes

Thanks so much... So the explorer file explorer umm is that on the app, cause I tried to unzip open office but it did not work.

4. dai

dai

5. hisbeauty4ashes

Okay I have another question. Why is my system slow? This is a new system and I am not sure how to free up space on 8 like Vista and 7. It keeps saying I am using to much memory.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    hisbeauty4ashes,
    You need to post the specs of this Windows 8 machine including all programs. You need to list what protection programs such a AV, malware and spamming programs.

7. hisbeauty4ashes

I am not sure how to post all programs I would be here all night. It is a new laptop and I am still discovering the programs. I said above it is Windows 8 Basic 64bit Hp laptop. I wanted to know how to free up memory. I have Norton Antivirus free for a few months. So hummm am trying to find my way through this new system. I am not use to apps. The system start up is different etc.

8. dai

dai

9. hisbeauty4ashes

Well for what ever reason it is not downloading.

10. dai

dai

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!