Solved: need to clean install xp home

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

q12

hi how is everyone today. i'm new to the forum and not very computer smart so please bear with me. i bought a used hp pavilion running windows xp home. it was not wiped so i wanted to clean install. it came with a disc but after doing some research i found out that the product key for the disc did not match the one on the side of the case. then after using 2 key extractors discovered that the key inside the machine was different from both the cd and the lable on machine. so here is one question, if i use the cd that i got with it and it has been used to pirate with, can it come back on me? or what would be the easiest and legal way to reinstall without having to buy a new disc? can i somehow access the install files in the computer? thanks for any help. hope i did this correctly i couldn't get your search to work.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If the product code on the sticker on the computer is for XP Home, and the CD is for XP Home, you can use the XP Home CD to format the hard drive and do a fresh install of XP Home, then activate it afterwards with the product code on the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------

One thing that I highly suggest you do before you start is to identify the devices in that computer, obtain the drivers for them, then burn them off to a CD-R.

If some of the device drivers don't get installed during the XP Home install process, you'll be able to install them afterwards from the CD-R.

Is that computer currently functional so you can access the Device Manager?

q12

thank you for getting back to me so quickly, the help is really appriciated. yes the cd and the sticker is for xp home. and yes i have access to the device manager.

If you use the genuine HP reinstall XP Home CD, you will not be asked for a key, it will install a Volume Licence Key (VLK) during installation, silently.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
OK, good.(y)

What's listed in these heading menus?

Display Adapters

Network Adapters

Sound Video And Game Controllers

-----------------------------------------------------------

q12

sorry folks i have pressing business right now i'll have to get back to this tomorrow. Thanks!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
There's no hurry. We can pick on this at a later time.

We just need to make sure the devices in that computer are identified and that you can obtain the XP drivers and burn them off to a CD-R before you start a hard drive format and fresh install of XP.

----------------------------------------------------------------

q12

to flavallee: can't i update those drivers from the device manager after i reinstall by checking if they have a question mark or exclamation pointand then clicking update driver?

to mumbodog: the disc says it is an genuine microsoft windows xp home edition version 2002.
are the product keys specific to the install cd or each computer and would it matter if i use the key on the side of the computer if it doesn't match the one located in the cd.

the disc says it is an genuine microsoft windows xp home edition version 2002.
If it is Not branded by the manufacturer, then use the key that came with the CD.

If it is a HP XP reinstall disc, you will not need a key, just install XP, it will not ask for a key during installation.

q12

by branded do you mean it would have the words hp or dell or whatever on the disc? it does not have a specific brand name on it.

what about the issue of pirating, if the disc did happen to be used for that at one time can it come back on me? i don't know if it was or wasn't, i just don't know who owned it and i'm not real sure on all that kind of stuff.

by branded do you mean it would have the words hp or dell or whatever on the disc?
yes

Does it look like a manufactured disc, or one someone burned on a blank cdr?

If it is an OEM CD and the key has been used, then you cannot use it, OEM licence is good for one PC, and if used is tied to that PC it was installed on forever.

If it is a Retail CD, then it can be used again, but must be removed from the other PC it was on.

q12

i am going to assume it is an OEM CD because it states that is to be distributed with a new pc

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
to flavallee: can't i update those drivers from the device manager after i reinstall by checking if they have a question mark or exclamation point and then clicking update driver?
No, you can't update them that way. You have to download and save them and then install them.

And even if you could, what happens if the network adapter isn't working because the driver didn't get installed? How do you get on-line?

q12

point taken thanks.

under dispay adaptors: NVIDIA GeForce 2MX/MX400
under network adaptors; SMC Etherpower II 10/100 Ethernet adaptor
under sound video game adaptors; Audio Codecs
Legacy audio drivers
Legacy video capture devices
Media controll devices
Sound Max integrated digital audio video condecs

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online