1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need to detect Motherboard Model for BIOS update !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sameerwni, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sameerwni

sameerwni Thread Starter

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3199 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 133168 MB, Free - 78555 MB; F: Total - 204798 MB, Free - 26432 MB; G: Total - 204798 MB, Free - 32779 MB; J: Total - 217529 MB, Free - 75059 MB; K: Total - 326736 MB, Free - 9357 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, MS-7267, 4.0, To be filled by O.E.M.
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

[​IMG]

Hi,
    Bought my PC around 6 yrs back, and with time I upgraded it accordingly(RAM from 512 mb to 4 Gb, HDD from 160 Gb to 1 TB, 1GB gfx Card and few more).Now I feel the need to update the BIOS to adjust my MB accordingly with the new hardware.The model number printed on my MB is 945GCM5 V2, MSI 7267 V4.2.
    When I googled it I found this: http://www.msi.com/service/search/?kw=945gcm5 v2&type=product
    and this : http://www.msi.com/product/mb/945GCM5.html#/?div=Overview
    But ist one got me confused, and didnt know which model is mine and 2nd one is not v2.

I would really appreciate if someone points me in right direction.
    Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is what I found as the support page for your board.
    http://us.msi.com/product/mb/945GCM5-L-V2.html

Next bios updates are NOT recommended unless the update has a specific fix you need. While a bios flash or update is not difficult, an incorrect or corrupted flash can render your board unbootable ie junk.

In short if it is working correctly, leave it alone. There is no need to have the latest and greatest bios.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you do decide to flash the bios, make sure you read ALL of the directions and fully understand the flashing procedure.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    When you flash the bios make sure you are connected to a power supply and not on battery power only if it was a laptop.just follow the instructions very carefully as was advised.if something should go wrong the computer will be nothing more than an expensive doorstop. if you arent sure how to do it please take it somewhere and have it done correctly if its really needed.

5. sameerwni

sameerwni Thread Starter

Thank you all for replying.(y)
    I will use live update for the task and see if there are any updates.

6. Simba7

Simba7

Also, I would not suggest upgrading your BIOS from Windows.

If you still have a floppy drive or a bootable USB (FreeDOS, etc), use that instead.

EDIT: WAIT! Don't flash the BIOS at the site crjdriver gave you. There are a few inconsistancies I see.
    One. The BIOS is v15.1 and the date is 05/30/2007. There isn't a v15.1 BIOS on the site and the dates don't match up either.

EDIT2: I think that board is a -F instead of a -L. Man, are you still running the original BIOS?
    http://us.msi.com/product/mb/945GCM5-F-V2--FSB-1333-.html#/?div=BIOS

It looks like they updated the BIOS on this board (almost) every week.

7. sameerwni

sameerwni Thread Starter

Yeah I got it this it is not my MB soon after checking the link, what crjdriver gave me.
    Simba7 : This is what is confusing mean, -L stands for lan which i do have but -F stands for what?.
    I am running original BIOS, stock from AMI.
    Man I am stuck now! Help me out here, what to go for?

8. dai

dai

9. sameerwni

sameerwni Thread Starter

dai : Thnx fr tkng interest!
    i had already mentioned The model number printed on my MB is 945GCM5 V2, MSI 7267 V4.2, the confusion lies in finding msi support for it.

PS: got it!!!!!:)
    Thanks dai pc wizard got it.(y)

Manufacturer : MSI
    Mainboard : MSI 945GCM5-F V2 (MS-7267)
    Bios : American Megatrends Inc.
    Chipset : Intel i945G/GZ
    Physical Memory : 4096 MB DDR2-SDRAM
    LPC bus : Yes
    PCI Bus : Yes
    Bus PCI-Express : Yes
    USB Bus : Yes
    SMBus/i2c Bus : Yes
    Bus HyperTransport : No
    Bus QPI : No
    Bus CardBus : No
    Bus FireWire : No

Simba7 u got it right too, Thanks!(y)

10. dai

dai

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice