1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need to find lost Paint App

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Donwan, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

My Paint file disappeared. It use to be listed under ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES but now it is nowhere to be found. It is useful to construct attachments. Can someone help me find it and place it in the START menu again. Thanks.

2. stantley

stantley

The program should be in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and it's called mspaint.exe. If that's there then all you need is the shortcut.

Get AccRestore from here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm it's a small utility that will restore missing shortcuts from the Accessories group.

3. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

The file mspaint.exe is missing--can't find it under Sys 32 or i386. The utility you suggested restores the shortcut but the shortcut can't find the exe file. Thanks--anyother thoughts?

4. stantley

stantley

If you have your Windows install disc it should be in the i386 folder in there. Put the CD in the drive, go to Start > Run type in cmd and then type in the following command:

Expand d:\i386\MSPAINT.EX_ c:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe

Your drive letter for d might be different.

5. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Donwan, Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab, select "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files", click Apply/OK. Now go into your C:\Windows\System32\dllcache folder and find the mspaint.exe file right click it and choose Copy then open your C:\Windows\System32 folder, right click an empty space and choose Paste.

Tufenuf

6. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

It seems that I have another problem. I inserted the install disc but drive D: doesn't show up under COMPUTER. I insert the cd and the cd drive lights flash but the drive doesn't show up when I double click COMPUTER. Sorry to bother you with a seemingly unrelated problem to my first post.

7. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

mspaint.exe is not shown under Win/sys32/dllcache after unchecking hidden file protection under control panel/folder options/view. Thanks

8. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

My cd drive problem has been resolved and now back to the Paint app file lost. I ran my XP install disc and copied mspaint.ex_ file from i386 to the i386 file on my hard drive andcreated a shortcut.Clicking the shortcut presents a message "cannot open-can't find the program that created it-browze to find it from a list (not exact words but similar). Looks like I need the whole program--will appreciate any suggestions.

9. stantley

stantley

You can't just copy mspaint.ex_ you have to use the Expand command I gave you.

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Just re-install it:
    Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
    Click Add/Remove Windows Components
    Double Click Accessories and Utilities
    Double click Accessories.
    Put a check in front of Paint (if it's already checked, uncheck it)
    Click OK twice, then Next> Insert XP CD if requested
    Click Finish.

If you unchecked Paint above, repeat, this time checking Paint

HTH

Jerry

11. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

Stantley---I actually did use the expand cmd. I misspoke when I said copy. Anyway it didn't work for me. But using Outcaste suggestion, the program was reinstated. Thanks guys--I really appreciate your time and effort for me.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!