Solved: Need to find remote machine name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mcsincnj

Problem: As a member of the security team, I am not a member of the IT team. Therefore do not have access to physical lists of a given machine.

The easy solutions are-1. Ask IT for the list of machine names, 2. Ask someone physically at the location to look for the users cubical and tell me the machine name (located on the ID tag)

Issue: Examine the contents of a workstation somewhere on our intranet.
Known Data: Username, server, server profile, physical address (big deal), personal storage on the LAN. Every workstation on the intranet has a unique identifier assigned by IT and placed on label on the physical case. Connecting remotely is permissible for my position.

Question. Is there a way to look on the local server (remotely) and determine the IP or machine name from a profile stored on the server or any other identifying characteristics to help me map to this workstation.

The problem with my "easy solutions" are that IT is NOT security, asking anyone opens the door to multiple questions that cannot be answered during an active investigation, and the separation of management (which I am classified as) and the workers prohibits them from assisting. Last resort, if there is no way to virtually accomplish this, is to contact the manager of the office to physically look at the workstation.

Thanks for your help,
MM

etaf

Wayne
The problem with my "easy solutions" are that IT is NOT security, asking anyone opens the door to multiple questions that cannot be answered during an active investigation, and the separation of management (which I am classified as) and the workers prohibits them from assisting.
I would suggest you talk to someone senior within IT.
And if you get nowhere, then escalate up your management chain, I have been in management on the business side of a number of organisations , and by talking to the right level of Management within IT usually got things resolved. If not then an escalation through my Management chain, soon got the required action i needed.

valis

It sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place. As a member of security, you should have the ability to manage what you need to; at least that's the way my company runs it. They operate outside the scope of the IT department, but are given leeway for penetration testing and whatnot.

etaf is correct; you are going to need to work with your company on that one, and I'd start at the exact same spot he would; with the upper management in IT itself.

mcsincnj

I am between a rock and a hard place - It is back to my supervisor to suggest we just ask the manager in the office to find out. That is the quickest solution -

Yes, I have the rights to get where ever I need to go, however, I have to know where first. It's a case of I don't know what I don't know. :eek:

etaf

Wayne
Its often worth building relationships with some of the senior managers in IT - I would often introduce myself to some of the senior managers in IT and discuss my job role and the interface to their organisation and ask who within their organisation would be best suited to support me in my activities, usually works quite well and starting a relationship when there is no conflict or issue to resolve helps a lot when there is

valis

It is very much worth building relationships with the senior managers in IT. They are inherently wary of people sniffing around their networks, as well they should be. What I would do would be to enlist their help wherever possible, as both entities (security and IT) stand to lose if the network is unsecured.

mcsincnj

Gentleman, Thank you for your insite,
My org is extremely large. IT is like a revolving door with temp admins. - I do have relationships, but just when you think it is good, they move on, to a new project & it's only on the phone. The solution actually was to ask the office manager to get it for me.

valis

sometimes the most direct is the easiest.

I'm going to mark this solved, but it will remain open for a few months if you feel that you wish to revisit it.

thanks,

v

etaf

Wayne
My org is extremely large. IT is like a revolving door with temp admins.
The organisations I worked in where very large global bluechip corporates - so i know how that feels - with re-organisation going every 6mths , so it can be very difficult to keep those relationships going, especially when in different countries and timezones

glad you have it sorted now

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online