1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need to flash BIOS, and other problems.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pandimensional, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pandimensional

Pandimensional Thread Starter

Hello,

I am doing some pro-bono volunteer computer-repair work for an elderly woman. Her HP Pavilion 752n (P8564A) XP system has a corrupt HD. I reinstalled XP on a new HD and manually installed the drivers, as I don't have the recovery partition or OEM recovery disk. I've run into a number of issues. The proper audio driver seems to be a mystery. I've tried several based on Google searches, but they don't take. The AC97 driver installation results in the computer restarting itself halfway through the install. The Soundmax driver install says I have the wrong hardware. I cannot locate the chipset drivers which I assume might solve this issue. The only driver downloads on the HP site for this computer are for things I don't need. Nothing actually of any importance. (!?)

The main issue that I am hoping to get some help with here is that I seemed to have installed the wrong BIOS. The computer was working fine with the exception of the audio, until I updated the BIOS using the
    "BIOS Update for GL_VE Motherboards" at this site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=83458

I later learned there are two motherboards for the Pavilion 752n. I guess I must have installed BIOS for the other model. After installing this BIOS upgrade, the system sits in a perpetual cycle starting windows, but never fully loading to completion, and restarting.

I want to return to the previous BIOS. I should have never messed with it.

I do not know where to get this BIOS file and I do not know how to flash it. What is the best way? There are some very complicated methods online to make USB flash and CDROM dos boot disks, but they seem overly complex and outdated. What is the current, most painless way of going about this? I have a Windows 7 machine that I can work on to make what I need. Finding the proper BIOS for this computer has me concerned.

THANK YOU! for any help you could provide to me.

-Ryan

2. dai

dai

usually if it is the wrong bios

it will not install

or

you brick it

i would think you have the correct bios,can you access the bios to check the settings are correct

did you do a cmos reset after updating the bios

can you access safe mode with networking from the f8 boot menu options

if you can get into safe mode try

last known good configuration from the options menu

try windows update for the missing drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&lc=en&product=83458&tmp_track_link=ot_search

you should be able to backflash to the corrola bios by following the instructions listed with the download

but i would start with a cmos reset and check the bios settings

3. Pandimensional

I did reset the bios to default values. I assume that is what a cmos reset is? This can't be the right BIOS. It's completely messed everything up. I was fine before I loaded it.

I cannot boot the computer into safe mode.

The instructions for the Corolla bios are outdated. They are for an XP machine with a floppy disk. I only have a working Windows 7 machine with either CD-ROM or flash drive capabilities right now. How to best flash the Corolla bios into this broken XP machine?

4. Pandimensional

I just thought of an idea. The HP machine with the bios problem has a floppy drive. I could possibly hook up the floppy drive to my Windows 7 machine (it's a micro tower so it might be tricky), make the boot disk per the instructions on the HP site then put the drive back in the HP machine and go from there.

5. dai

dai

how is it completely messed up

you can see it we cannot you need to expand on what you post

can you move through the bios normally checking the different tabs and do the items show normally on each screen

put the flash onto a usb and then use that

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/BootFlashDOS.shtml

you are trying to flash a xp machine not a win7 machine so the instructions are appropriate

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just because it will not boot windows does not mean it [bios] is "messed up" What most likely happened is that the sata mode changed and windows will not boot. The 845 chipset does support sata so I am guessing the hard drive is sata. Open the case and look. If the hard drive is ide, then disregard the above.

Next if you want the chipset driver or inf driver, simply go to the intel download site and download the latest one that supports the 8xx series chipset.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  8. Pandimensional

Thank you all for your help thus far. I didn't know I'm suppose to get the chipset drivers from intel. Duh. That makes sense. Yet, that's hardly my biggest problem at the moment...

The HD is IDE, not SATA. I'm happy to hear that maybe this is not a bios issue, yet I'm confused then as to what it is and what to do about it. Last night, I reinstalled XP after deleting the previous partition and reformatting the drive. Everything went well until I restarted the computer. Same exact thing occurs. The computer starts to boot, I see the diagnostics, then the Windows XP logo with the blue cycling progress bar underneath - moments later it restarts and stays in a restart cycle. THis is the exact moment that the restart occurred last time.

Note that following the BIOS upgrade that I believe caused this, the computer boots VERY slowly. Prior to this, it would boot fast. Now it just sits on the diagnostics and/or HP logo screen for a good minute or two before proceeding.

I have attempted to make a usb flash dos boot "disk" with FlashDOS containing the Corolla BIOS, but this computer doesn't recognize USB upon boot-up.

While I was in XP following the reinstall last night I attempted to use the floppy drive to make a standard boot disk. Turns out this drive is broken.

9. dai

dai

leave the current bios as is it is correct one

in the bios set sata to be seen as ide in the bios settings

10. Pandimensional

This PC is not sata compatible. There are no sata connections on the MB, and there are no sata options in the bios.

I can't see how this is the right bios as the computer was working fine before I loaded it. There were two different MBs with this computer model. This bios I am having trouble with is probably for the other MB?

I am attempting to visually ID the MB, but there is no brand name just numbers on it. They look like serial numbers.

11. Pandimensional

According to some google research, the two MB's that were used with this computer model are:

TriGem Imperial-GLVE 129504 ("GL_VE")
    P4G-LA ("Corolla")

I'm guessing I have the Corolla mb but have flashed the GL_VE bios.

Which takes me back to my original question - how do I flash the Corolla bios using a CD? I found resources online but they were very complex. I was hoping for something a bit less over my head.

12. dai

dai

13. Pandimensional

Thanks for those links. It appears I have blown caps on the MB. So I won't be fixing this computer. Wondering why the issue occurred immediately following the BIOS update. I think possibly, that despite the blown caps, they are somehow still working and I have the wrong BIOS. Be that as it may, I'm not going to waste my time on a computer that has bad caps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Pandimensional

BTW - the link about making a DOS boot CD does me no good. Remember I am using Windows 7. While there is a "Format" option for the CD drive, the option to "Create a DOS Boot Disk" is greyed out. It cannot be selected. This is why I mentioned that I was using Windows 7, thinking that maybe that option only works on XP?

15. dai

dai

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice