1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need to install nVIDIA GeForce Go5700 driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulmo_on_tour, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulmo_on_tour

paulmo_on_tour Thread Starter

Hello all,

After the installing XP and updating it to SP2 (ugh!), am starting to hunt down all my needed drivers. The one remaining is one for the video card. Now must let you know I'm using an Alienware 51m 5500 laptop, with a nVIDIA GeForce Go5700 card. In it's day it was flash as they came!

I've gone to the nVIDIA website, downloaded the driver (actually two different versions) and tried to install it. I get an error telling me that there are NO drivers for the new one to update. Bugger, need to install one.

On the Utility disk there is are AGP and VGA drivers. Installed them, or at least I thought I had installed them.

In Control Panel I do not see an nVIDIA folder (like before the horrible crash of the HDD), so I correct in assuming that I don't have one installed? LOL.

Any assistance would be great!

Thank you in advance!

Paul

2. Flags

Flags

3. paulmo_on_tour

Flag,

Actually that was the 1st place I went, but since I bought the computer used off the orginal owner, who I cannont get a hold of, I won't be able to use Customer Support, since truthfully I'm not a customer. LOL

Thanks for replying however!

Paul

4. Flags

Flags

5. paulmo_on_tour

LOL, already done that as well...*sigh* funny thing, my post was briefly looked at...but the posts about nVIDIA and Vista problems had HEAPS of comments...lol..

Thanks again!

Paul

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you installed the chipset drivers for your motherboard yet? You need to install those before you attempt to install the video driver.

7. paulmo_on_tour

crjdriver,

Just did but still could not install the drivers downloaded from nVIDIA. But I did find the driver.....already in XP.

When "Updating Driver", chose "Install from list or specific location", well I was installing from location, this time I installed from a list, and there my card was! Funny how that works.

Now, comes the fun of updating the driver, it's a bit old, but I'm just happy to have a driver, I think I'll go and do some CAD files over the weekend, so I can make money to buy a Intel Mac. LOL

Thanks for EVERYONE'S help!

Cheers,

Paul

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice