1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need to locate driver for display...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jaelini, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jaelini

Jaelini Thread Starter

Hi all! My son formatted the hard drive and re-installed Win98 on a Dell Dimension a friend of mine gave us. Everything is great except for the display. We can't change its size and because of this, most of his games will not play on it...this being the reason I accepted the system in the first place. I cannot go online with this system...is there anywhere I can go to get a generic type of video driver that I can burn to disk on this computer so I can install it on THAT computer? Or how do I find out what type of diplay driver I need and where to get it from? I hope I am asking this right :rolleyes:

2. photolady

photolady

Go to Dell's website on your computer and download the video driver for that computer. If you tell me which Dell it is, I can link you to the driver page.

3. Jaelini

Jaelini Thread Starter

The system is a made in the year 2000 Dell Dimension XPS T600r and on the back of the monitor, it says UltraScan P780. I'll try the dell site...if you can link it, that'd be awesome!!

Thanks!
    ~Julie

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

5. photolady

photolady

Finding the correct driver for the video proved a bit harder than I first said because that system specs at Dell shows numerous video cards that could have been installed in that system. So, to narrow down the options, download and install Everest from the link below, after install, click on the shortcut and allow it to open, then go to the left hand pane/window and click the + sign beside the word Display, chose GPU and in the right hand window it should show you which video card is installed. If Everest doesn't show a GPU entry, click on PCI/AGP.
    Get Everest here:
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/download/file/everest-home-edition

6. photolady

photolady

pugmug it is not a monitor driver he needs but the display driver, as in video card. Pay attention to what he's asking, the P780 is for the monitor only which won't allow him to reset resolution at all.

7. pugmug

pugmug Banned

8. Jaelini

Jaelini Thread Starter

Is there anywhere else to get everest? The link you provided (thanks by the way--and I am a she, not a he :D) states that the site is being moved and isn't available until the transfer is complete...I'll google it--I just have poor luck in choosing a safe site...thus all my other issues...LOL!!!

9. photolady

photolady

Pugmug you trying too hard. A monitor driver isn't the display driver.....so you *** too.

Sorry about the link, yes, I can provide the one that works. I forgot cth was down this weekend. Get it here then:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

10. pugmug

pugmug Banned

It is on Dell's site or can you read?

11. Jaelini

Jaelini Thread Starter

Thanks!! I will post in a few to let you know how it went. I googled and downloaded from a site I picked...all went well, until I went to run everest off my download...it said "License period of this product has expired. Please contact Lavalys Sales to extend your license." Wow--I didn't realize the shelf life of the license was 1.5 seconds...LOL! Pugmug--I did as you suggested too, but it said I was downloading a hard drive installer...sorry!

12. Jaelini

Jaelini Thread Starter

Maybe I can't read...I am technically challenged you know ;)

13. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Not you the other person,lol. What o/s is on that T600?

14. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Jaelini go here use free download tab at top of page run it and it will tell you everything about the computer. http://www.belarc.com/

15. Jaelini

Jaelini Thread Starter

Win98 is the o/s on his computer...I realized you were chatting at photolady when you asked the question about being able to read...I was just trying to be funny ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice