1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need to make my old laptop wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by piscespassion, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

Ok, I bought a used laptop with a fresh install of XP Pro w/SP3...
    It's a Dell Inspiron 1000 (only 449 MB RAM, I know not much) and I was wondering if I buy an Intel Internal Wireless LAN Card 2200BG WM3B2200BG, is this all I need to make it wireless capable? And is this something I have to open up my laptop to install? (I don't see where it would go "outside" of the laptop)
    What else would I need after installing it to have wireless web access "wherever I go"? (Note: I am going to Mexico for a few months and need to have access to my website.)
    Thanks so much!
    Rosa~
    EDIT: Ok, I'm editing this because "I do see" a slot that looks the size of the LAN card, but when I see a picture of the card, it has "pins" like a memory card, so I'm not understanding how it would slide into the slot that I see... which has a push button like the floppy drives have...? Or am I looking at the wrong card for my laptop?
    http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Wireless-2200BG-WM3B2200BG-Inspiron/dp/B003BHZFV8/ref=lh_ni_t_

2. Megabite

Megabite

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Rosa:

What's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker on the bottom of that Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop?

You currently have 512 MB of RAM in it, but it's showing 448 MB because the other 64 MB is dedicated for use by the on-board graphics controller and other devices. Unfortunately, 512 MB is the maximum supported amount for that laptop, so you'll be unable to add more.

As long as you don't load it with system-hungry programs and try to perform system-hungry functions with it, and as long as you keep the startup load and graphic "eye candy" to a minimum, it should run fine for basic computing use.

A wireless card similar to what Megabite linked you to is what you need to convert that old laptop to wireless. It will come with a driver CD so you can install the driver for it.

Go to Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK and confirm that Wireless Zero Configuration is set on Automatic. If it's not, double-click it to open its properties window, change "Startup Type" to Automatic, click Apply - OK, then restart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

4. piscespassion

I appreciate your help, but this has got to be one of those ridiculous tasks for me [unfortunately] because I can't seem to find out "which" of all the options I'm given is the "correct" card to use on this particular laptop! There are soooo many to choose from, and since I've read that this laptop "came with" a card, but it wasn't present when I purchased it (my bad, I know), therefore I know nothing about what exactly it should look like =[

PS: How about this one: http://www.impactcomputers.com/imp-70398.html ? If you scroll down, it says that it's compatible with (and my model is on the list, yay).

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

6. piscespassion

Thx! Actually I do have available USB ports... Is this something that will work in/near hotspots only??

7. piscespassion

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Wireless adapters work at home with a wireless modem/router setup, and they work at locations that have free hot spots.

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Everything suggested has been for wireless networking. If you want wireless broadband service, you need to find out what providers and plans are available in Mexico. US companies will charge for roaming and require a multi-year contract. Are you staying in a hotel in Mexico? With friends? Does the place have a wireless network available for you to use?

10. piscespassion

Thanks DoubleHelix!! I guess that's something I needed to know! Ok yes, I want broadband service, and I will be staying in a house or apartment... but I guess if I'm forced to, I can do my work at a hotspot, it's just that it's gets pretty costly in Mexico to do all that, and what I wanted was to be able to have web access anywhere I go because my business will soon require me to go out of town and out of state as well.
    You've been a great help, tho... cus now I've narrowed it down, thank you!
    (y):D

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Using a hotspot is expensive? Huh? Wireless broadband is expensive. I think you're confusing the technologies.

12. Hughv

Hughv

13. piscespassion

No, where I will be going, it would end up less expensive [for me] to have service at all times... I can't be traveling back & forth to hotspots whenever I need to "connect", and I will be having to connect most of my waking hours... plus what I'm going for requires me to "stay put" pretty much 24/7, until it gets resolved... it's just too complicated to explain, and too personal, and I need to be "on the web" while other family members are "with me", therefore traveling with "the whole family" will be merely impossible! (That's why I want & need to be "connected" at all times.)
    Thx for looking out, tho... ;)

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Then you'll need to find out what wireless broadband options are available in the areas of Mexico you will be traveling to. You can talk to US carriers, but they'll require you to sign a 2-year agreement for at least $60 a month and will probably also add on roaming charges which could run into the hundreds or even thousands of dollars a month depending on how much bandwidth you use and how much time you'll spend online.

I would suggest talking to someone you'll be working/staying with in Mexico to find out what local options might be available. You could also check here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Mexico

Be prepared to shell out big bucks for this adventure. International wireless broadband is not for the frugal.

15. piscespassion

Yes, you have very good points... thank you!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice