1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need to Reformat XP on Dell Laptop Without CD Only Product Tag

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joey_bags, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joey_bags

joey_bags Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been in the process of trying to remove a zero access virus on my Dell Laptop (see link below)

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-oth...lware-wont-allow-antivirus-4.html#post8153227

We have gotten to the point that it may be better to simply reformat and reinstall. Only problem is my laptop did not come with xp disc but does have product id tag on bottom of laptop. Can anyone advise on how to proceed without cd and only product id code?

Thanks,

Joe

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The product code will only work on a Dell version of Windows. You can buy it from Dell.

If Windows is on the hard drive instead in a recovery partition (not much use when the drive fails so you should have another system backup), then it is usually accessed by pressing F11 (or Ctrl+F11) at boot time right after the logo. I don't believe that this formats the drive, but it restores an image of the system.

3. joey_bags

joey_bags Thread Starter

Other question is, considering I have zero access what is the best option? reformating or restoring?

4. joey_bags

joey_bags Thread Starter

Thanks, see my other reply. considering I have zero access what would be best restore or reformat?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't understand. Did you format before and that is why you would be "re"-formatting? As I said, I don't think you can format since if you want to restore the system from the recovery partition, you need to restore an image. Formatting would be done if you were installing an OS and would be part of setup.

What is the problem you are having? Have you tried things like Startup Repair, if that is the problem?

In your mind, what would be the difference between formatting and recovery? If you had a retail OS that was not licensed to Dell, you would format as part of setup to install Windows. With your situation, instead of formatting, you restore an image. Both end up with a new copy of Windows, so I don't see the difference (except that you can't format).

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What does "I have zero access" mean? You can't touch the computer? You can't get to the Dell website?

7. joey_bags

joey_bags Thread Starter

sorry for not being more specific. i have the zeroaccess virus on my laptop which I attempted to fix (note link attached in original post), however too many problems arose thus it will be easier to reformat/restore. and that is my question considering the virus is it better to reformat or will restoring be adequate.

8. joey_bags

joey_bags Thread Starter

See last reply---sorry for not being more specific. i have the zeroaccess virus on my laptop which I attempted to fix (note link attached in original post), however too many problems arose thus it will be easier to reformat/restore. and that is my question considering the virus is it better to reformat or will restoring be adequate.

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

As you have little choice but to do a restore from a recovery partition or from obtaining a set of recovery discs, the restore will format the disk. So, you don't actually have a choice. If you did then you would have to run a format in order to be sure the virus has been deleted.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't believe that restore will format the disk, but what it does is almost the same - it restores an image that contains the partition and file system and writes it over what is on the drive now, so it will erase what is there (so long as you don't choose to save your personal files because that will increase the risk of transferring the virus).

If you need to recover files before the restoration, then be sure to do that first.

As Mark1956 said, you really don't have any other choice unless you want to buy a new copy of Windows.

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of your Dell laptop?

What's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker?

--------------------------------------------------------

12. joey_bags

joey_bags Thread Starter

Sorry for delay.

Dell Inspiron 4150, Model # PP01L

Tag : 2HVSC21

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the Dell support site that's specific ONLY to your Dell Dimension 4150 laptop.

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list because you probably may need to refer to it.

It was manufactured in January 2004(almost 9 years ago) and came with Windows XP SP1 pre-installed.

--------------------------------------------------------

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!