1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need to transfer music data to Flash Drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by linsjean, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

Hi,
    See my sig for info about my computer. I bought an 8-GB data transfer stick so I can backup my important pix, documents, what have you. I was able to transfer over a lot of stuff (mostly documents and pix) but I want to export my iTunes to this stick and it won't work. It says something like XML files for TXT files. No other option. I bought the SanDisk, Cruzer Micro USB 2.0 Flash Drive. I am going to the correct drive (F) and I have tried dragging (won't work) and I have tried going to iTunes and choosing Export and browsing to my SanDisk drive and tried saving, no go, even the library won't work . Shows up as text when I open it on the data stick.

Any ideas? I want to save my precious iTunes library somewhere and it says it will take videos and music, so anyone know what I need to do?

Thanks!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You should just need to copy the entire contents of your iTunes folder to the flash drive.

3. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

That seemed to work. The real test is if I bring it over someone else's computer and see if it works. This data stick will allow me to bring over programs, but it seems to be limited. I just tried iTunes, but didn't allow me to, or else I am confused. At least I have my iTunes folder copied over. I'm using this to back up important documents. I will call this solved, Thanks!

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't simply copy programs to a flash drive and use them on another computer unless they're designed to be portable and installed directly to the flash drive. Most programs put entries in the computer's registry that are required for the program to work properly.

5. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

Just read teh back of the package. Says, "Run any U3 programs. For U3 compatible programs go to www.u3.com. Okay, you're right I have no idea what are U3 programs, so will check this out. Thanks.

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

The extra feautures that are on the flash drive are of little value and merely cause a little grief when trying to use the drive for storage,by the prompts getting in the way etc.

7. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

I totally agree. It asked me if I wanted to load programs and I said yes and it loaded all kinds of games and other stuff that I deleted. It didn't come with an instruction manual. Thanks.

8. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Welcome
    We have to clean flash drives of bloatware just as we do a new pc it seems

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can choose to install or remove any U3 applications you want. You can also completely remove the U3 platform and software.

10. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

Thanks! Didn't mean to keep going on about this after I clicked "solved". But I'm glad I got more info. I'm quite amazed how much this little flash drive can do. Only 4 inches long and can contain 8 gigs of data. I remember when they only came out with 250 megs and the cost was like $70 for them. I only paid $19.99 for this little baby.

11. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

hold alot and fast to write to they are a bargain endeed

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/788399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice