1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need Urgent Help to re-format Computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by epsonone, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. epsonone

epsonone Thread Starter

I have a sony va10 pcv-rx1 with sony recovery discs , I went to format the comp with my XP sp2 (do not ask why), every thing was going OK then it started to say that certain files could not be found had to press retry then I had to press escape to miss that part but it was coming up it could not find a lot of files , I had to switch off then restart , it ask for my XP disc which I loaded then it said it could not find the hard drive. I have try to load the sony recovery discs but it will notexcept them.
    Is there a way I can re-format the computer even if I lose every thing and start again like a reset

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

3. epsonone

epsonone Thread Starter

Thanks ,my cd/rom drive is sticking ,think that is the problem will have to sort that out first

4. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Yes, you can but we will need more details. For instance:

See, we could help you with this if only we knew what you were talking about. What files were not found?

When you do a repair or an install or reinstall or anything its very important to understand what steps are required and why.

So, yes you can fix it, but you'll need good media either your OS install disks or your OEM recovery disks, whichever works for YOU. But one or the other, mixing and matching won't be very wise. Also you'll need a working optical drive, so do sort that problem out, that could render any fix/repair/install broken.

Also keep in mind, your Sony OEM recovery disks should have all the drivers current at time of build, so a recovery should not fail to find your drivers, XP install on the other hand may, so you may have to hit F6 during the setup to load your hard disk drivers from floppy for example.

Good luck,

5. epsonone

epsonone Thread Starter

These files were from xp disk too numerous to mention when I tried to format the hard drive.
    I have the Sony OEM recovery disks but I rather use my XP disk if possible.
    I think my first job is to get a optical drive soon.
    I have no floppy disks ?

6. vschitturi

vschitturi

hi epsonone

The problem may be with optical drive but also check with your memory i also faced the problem before few days at that time i came to know when setup files are getting escaped the problem is with the memory. Do one thing clean ur memory perfectly and re-install again into ur system if it is not working after re-installation of memory u may proceed to get the optical drive.

7. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Well don't quote me on just that. :) That was just an example.

Since the 'symptom' is very vague anything could ultimately be the cause. Without a proper diagnostic you're left guessing and trial and error problem solving to fix the problem.

So, lets see how the optical replacement goes for your next attempt. Let us know.

8. epsonone

epsonone Thread Starter

Have now installed a new cd-rom and recovery disc worked so that was the problem Thanks for all the help

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!