1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: needing to write a script

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by Lex.Luthor, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor Thread Starter

this one is a little complicated for me, so I'll make this one simple:

I am looking for a script command that will send me a really small email message to my email system. I have several email accounts at my disposal, and I am not a spammer.

That's out of the way.

I use a program called webcam xp ver 5 that has a motion detector attached to the computer, Windows xp. When the motion detector goes off, it sends me an email with a jpeg attached. I get about 4 a day, most of them with me coming and going.

I need a simple batch command that would send me an "email" text alert to my phone. I already know how the alert is getting on my phone through my cell carrier of which I remembered the format from my emails.

I just cannot seem to find a way to make the two connect.

Is there anything that I can use to make this happen. Keep in mind that this is an unattended application so that I will have to make it automatic.

Thank you

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I am confused on what you want. You said you are already getting alerted with an email from Webcam XP. What other email alert do you want?

3. Lex.Luthor

Sorry for the confusion Squashman,

I get an email alert when I am at my computer. I am in the field and away from the computer most of the day. i should have said that I needed to get a text alert. The phone system that I have is a digital system but not a "smart" phone.

I just need it to send me a text to alert me that there is motion detector going off.

The email side is really doing good and I want to keep that.

4. Squashman

And what application will you be using to send the SMS message?

5. Squashman

I just remembered this. If your Cell provider supports an SMS email gateway you can send an email that shows up as a text message on your phone. I just tested this on my Sprint account.

So lets say my phone number is 999-555-1234.
    I can send an email to [email protected] or I can even send a multimedia message with pictures as a text message to my phone using [email protected] and it shows up as a text message on my phone.

6. Lex.Luthor

I have also tried this through AT & T And this works. I've used the format [email protected] and it comes trough perfectly.

I need to find a way to send me a text message through the windows dos that I can change to an exe so that when the motion detector goes off, it will send me an email and then run a program.

This program will contain the commands for sending a text message to my phone that will be ran from the webcam xp system.

7. Squashman

Why not change your Webcam software to use your phone number as the email address. I would think you could put multiple email addresses into the Receiver's Email address just by separating them with commas.
    [email protected],[email protected]

To do it your way seems like a lot of work. I don't think there is any way to make a batch file monitor your Motion Detector. How would we know when it goes off? I don't see any option in WebcamXp to launch a program when a security event happens.

8. Lex.Luthor

I tried that Squashman.

I also tried it with just the cell phone number in 2 different formats: #@txt.att.net and #@mms.att.net with a no go on both.

"How would we know when it goes off? I don't see any option in WebcamXp to launch a program when a security event happens."

For this, there is a check box that I can use to run a program when there is an alert for the motion detector.

I've tried to enable the sms application, but it's for service that you have to subscribe for. This is why I want to see if there is a script to send a simple text that I can send using the "Run application" feature.

9. Lex.Luthor

This is a snapshot of the features that come with the program

Attached Files:

10. Lex.Luthor

I know that running an appliocation will work because when I get an email alert, and i check the server, the notepad program is open. So that the run application feature does work.

11. Squashman

I looked thru all of WebcamXP's documentation yesterday and didn't see any feature for running a program or sms. If the SMS feature requires a fee based subscription service don't you think pretty much all other SMS applications you would try to use within a Batch file would also require a fee based subscription.

If you can find me an SMS application that I can run from a batch file I will write the batch code for you. Like I said in one of my previous posts: "What SMS application are you going to use?" but you didn't answer that question. So you need to find an SMS application that runs from the command line.

12. Lex.Luthor

Squashman,

I do not quite understand the SMS application to use unless it's like another program. I did a heavy amount of googgling and came across "blat" from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/blat/files/

according to the files it is a smtp mailer. Would this be something like it? I do not know.

According to this site:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/send-email-windows-command-line.htm

this might do the trick. Unknown until I can test it using simple commands. I will drill down further until I can get this completed.

Just wanted to let you know that I am still in the hunt.

Have a good weekend!

13. Squashman

Both of those deal with email. You said you wanted an SMS solution.

14. Lex.Luthor

Ok. I know that this is for email, but I have tested this for my text messaging and it works.

http://w3.haztek-software.com/apps/smtpsend.html

It's a program called SMTP mail sender. It uses a program that's an exe and when it opens it asks me for the login and other details. When I enter the details, the program restarts with a box that asks me for the to and from email information and then sends a message through.

This is where I can use my "run application" to run the program under a script and then fire off my auto it to fill in the details when the box opens up. It'll take me a few tries to get the information entered in correctly and smoothly, but if I get it right, then I will have a workaround instead of using a sms service.

15. Lex.Luthor

Squashman,

I still have not found an sms application yet, I came across this program from an old usb of mine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice