1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SOLVED - Nero hangs when creating bootable disk

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by KenE-SA, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenE-SA

KenE-SA Thread Starter

Hi

I've been trolling through forums for over a week now trying to figure out why
    Nero (6, 7, 8, 9, & 10) hangs when I try to write a bootable CD or DVD.

I have installed a number of versions of XP with various levels of service packs and system drivers without success.

So - in desperation, I started XP (SP3) in SAFE MODE.
    Yeah - safe mode....

And would you believe Nero works perfectly ??

So - I'm still no wiser as to the exact cause of this problem which I see is causing frustration for a large number of people (especially sysops), but this seems to point to a Windows driver issue.

The bottom line is, until Nero and\or Microsoft figure out the root cause for this problem, you CAN get around it by running Nero in safe mode.

* Now that we have Google no=one can say "I didn't know" *

2. pip22

pip22

Thanks for the post. As XP & higher have cd-burning built in to the operating system, and since that capability requires Microsoft drivers to be loaded, it is probably a driver conflict issue.

Nero also loads it's own drivers, but not in Windows safe mode where all third-party drivers are ignored. That means the Nero drivers cannot conflict with the Microsoft drivers.

If you were to disable the built-in cd-burning service: IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service you may well find the problem resolved even with Windows running in Normal Mode. Just a hunch mind you - but it sounds logical to me.

3. KenE-SA

KenE-SA Thread Starter

Hi pip22

Just to clarify the steps that preceded this post:

I installed a number of different versions of Windows XP and then installed various versions of Nero to determine whether the operating system, service-pack level or version of Nero was complicit in the problem-symptoms.
    After each unsuccessful load, I repeated the process until I had eliminated the XP service-pack levels and the Nero versions as being the root cause of the problem.

I also read most of the existing posts in Google, and tried every relevant suggestion (disabling XP's built-in CD writing, removing and uninstalling SCSI hardware and software, removing SPTD, etc, etc)

Finally, in desperation, I tried writing a bootable DVD in SAFE MODE and reported the success thereof as an aid to other people battling with the same problem.

That is why I posted this as an interim solution which although a tad painful, at least allow 'the show to go on' until a proper fix is provided by either\both Microsoft\Nero.

This being said, Google shows hundreds of posts from people who have experienced system hangs at various stages of attempting to create a bootable CD\DVD.

I am aware that the technical people at Nero know about this problem, but they still have not been able to find the cause.
    Seeing as this problem has been in existence since Nero version 7 and still occurs in version 10 I have to take this as an indication of the effort being put into the resolution of the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice