1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Netbook upgrade/tweaks

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mikeatic, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikeatic

mikeatic Thread Starter

Hi Fellas

A little while ago I asked for recommendations for upgrading my laptop. I acted on these :)up:) and now I am asking for recommendations for upgrading and/or tweaking my net book. Details below.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1013 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 68580 MB, Free - 47489 MB; D: Total - 68583 MB, Free - 68320 MB;
    Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., N150/N210/N220 , Not Applicable, 123490EN400015
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. Rockn

Rockn

Not much you can upgrade on a Netbook

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Who sells a netbook with Windows 7 Ultimate? Usually they keep the price low with Windows 7 Starter.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    TerryNet:

From what I can tell at the Samsung site, all the netbooks that come with an Intel Atom processor and 1 GB of RAM come with Windows 7 Starter Edition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

mikeatic:

What's the complete model number of that Samsung netbook?

------------------------------------------------------------------

5. mikeatic

mikeatic Thread Starter

I bought 7 Ultimate for my main computer and got a licence for three. I put the second one on my laptop and the third on my netbook. Would extra ram make a difference? According to Crucial I have three spare slots.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Doing a scan at the CRUCIAL site isn't always 100% accurate.

I'm personally not aware of any laptop or netbook that has more than 2 slots for adding RAM modules.

Without knowing the model number of that Samsung netbook, we don't even know yet how much RAM it supports.

------------------------------------------------------------------

7. mikeatic

mikeatic Thread Starter

The model number N150.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for the explanation about your Ultimate version. Doubling your RAM should certainly help, but double check Crucial's results against your netbook's specs. Or open the cover and count the memory slots yourself.

In my experience Windows 7 is sluggish with 1 GB memory, and just fine with 2 GB for anything you are likely to be doing with a netbook.

If you did an upgrade install you probably want to check for any bloatware that you will never use.

9. mikeatic

mikeatic Thread Starter

It is sluggish and this is what I want to address. There is only one slot which easily accessed from the base of the machine. I have priced up 2Gb ram and will order it soon. Thank you all for your (further) advice.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

Expect that 2 GB RAM will be fine, but hope you double checked the specs to make sure.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  12. mikeatic

mikeatic Thread Starter

Yeah, 4 slots did seem excessive even to me. Crucial was having a bad day, I think. They now say flavallee got it right and I have ordered the module. Thanks again.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A netbook's performance is based on more than the amount of RAM. The entire processor and chipset is designed to consume less power and run slower. You're not going to see a significant performance improvement with the additional RAM. I definitely would not run Ultimate on it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!