1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Netgear adapter drops ip address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Novictory, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

I am going around & around with this. I purchased this adapter in Jan '10 and it has never really worked right. I have gone through a bunch of routines on TSG and think it is solved but then it fails again. I have reinstalled it a number of times, and updated the drivers to the most recent version. Still no luck. I contacted Verizon to see if something with their router was affecting it - they changed a couple of router settings (channel change and 802.11G solely). That seemed to work for one day and now back to not working at all. Verizon said perhaps I need a signal booster for it. I live in a 750 sq. ft. home which it should work in, I think. It is also on the second floor - router on first. I have dealt with NG tech support many times but to no avail. Reinstall software & drivers was their solution. Which I did. So I have done ipconfig/all for you to see - it follows. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\PvN>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : pvn-rose
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 19:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter #7
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-33-7D-57-30
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Netgear is all junk imho.

Go with Linksys.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    (from a JohnWill post)

IP addresses of 0.0.0.0 are normally caused by one of the following.

Diagnosis:
    1. DHCP Service not running.
    2. Duplicate IP address on the network.
    3. Bad NIC card drivers.
    4. Defective NIC hardware.

Resolution:
    1. Check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. The DHCP Client service should be Started and its Startup Type should be Automatic.
    2. Turn off ALL of the computers and other network connected devices, reboot the router, then restart all the computers and other network devices.
    3. Check for upgraded drivers and/or reload the Network drivers.
    4. Replace the Network Interface Card.

4. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Thanks for input. Tried 1. it was started & automatic; tried 2. no change after reboot of router 3. I assume you mean the drivers for the netgear adapter. I updated them 2 days ago - everything seems worse now. at least before I could access inet sometimes. now not at all. New symptom this morning. adapter says "connected" but "cannot connect to server". For 4., the Dell the adapter is on is a 2001 model. my invoice says "no network card" - it has a modem but evidently no card. How have I been able to get on inet w/o this card in times recent. As in when I had installed an adapter with only wep security, it worked fine. When I went with the netgear adapter, nothing has worked regularly. Thanks again.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "4. Replace the Network Interface Card." is referring to the NIC that you are using--the "NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter." :)

6. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

So - it is still the Netgear adapter that is the problem not something inside the Dell where it is installed, yes? I think since this is still under warranty, I should contact them for an RMA. I also read about something called "winsock xp fix". Would that be a possible cure for all this before I go to the RMA route? Thanks again.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know if stack/WINSOCK repairs have been tried for IP 0.0.0.0. Unless you are way behind in service packs here are the correct repairs. May as well try them.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

8. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

I decided to un- and re-install one more time. For some reason, this time the install with the updated drivers worked, so all is up and running once again. Hope it lasts. Thanks again.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's interesting. Hope this is a lasting solution, but possibly the adapter is flaky--sometimes works and sometimes not.

You can mark this Solved using the button at the upper left of the page. The button will then change to "unsolved" in case you have to come back with bad news.

10. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

It would appear that the adapter is in fact, flaky. After reinstall, worked for day one. Logged on yesterday, day 2, worked fine. logged on this morning, no deal. nothing has changed that I am aware of. Only thing different is that I logged on this a.m. as limited user rather than admin - can't imagine that's doing it. Called Netgear tech support looking for an RMA, they indicated if the router light lit (which it does) then the hardware was fine. That's what the warranty covers - nothing else. Any thoughts??

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One of the goals of 1st level tech support, if your problem cannot be solved fairly quickly, is to blow smoke screens or whatever it takes to get you to hang up. Hang up within an hour and you go into the stats as another satisfied customer.

IMO your only hope of winning this battle is to insist on talking to a tier 2 (or supervisor), carefully explaining the intermittent nature and the 0.0.0.0 IP address, and being lucky to have somebody listening who understands the problem. Or find a way w/o obvious signs of tampering to get the LEDs to stay off (I'm NOT suggesting this).

My first USB wireless adapter was troublesome from the beginning and I gave it away. My second was DOA and I got my money back. I still have the 3rd and 4th ones and they are still performing excellently. Seems to be luck of the draw with those.

12. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I have a stack of Netgear switches (just a little over a year old), and that is about all that works on them, the led....

Junk Products. Ask for a refund rather than another junk product.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you trash a whole brand, your credibility goes out the window. While Netgear has doubtless made some lemons, they've also made plenty of quality gear.

I'll be glad to take that stack of Netgear switches off your hands since they're no good to you. ;)

14. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Junk....

15. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Well, it may be intermittent, but I wouldn't call it junk. It does work (on its own terms) and I don't need it that often. It is just a convenience for me. I gave up on their tech support as they wanted to charge me $75 - I don't think so!! I'll go buy a new Linksys before I paid them that. At any rate, it seems to be working now and when it doesn't I'll just reinstall. Sort of a long way around but it seems to work after that. Thanks for all thoughts & ideas.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice