1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Netgear router and 2 wire system

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lex.Luthor, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor Thread Starter

Here is the enviroment that I have: One desktop with wol capabilities attached via cable to netgear router. 2 laptops with wifi capabilities. At first I was using the netgear router as a point to point file sharing device that I can use as a INTRANET. Since the desktop has wol via cable, I can access the desktop anytime with my laptop using static IP. Now the wife went and got 2wire modem with wifi capability and is using it on her laptop. I am wondering if I can change the settings within the 2 wire to setup static ip for INTRANET use and be able to get INTERNET access as well. The other problem is that I am still wanting to use the netgear router for the desktop as a wol so that I can access that computer as well for files. Is this non-impossible? I have all of the keys and total information for both routers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As far as I know every "modem with wifi capability" is really a modem/wireless router combination unit. So, yes, you can use static IP addresses on the LAN side. You can disable the Dhcp server, but it's usually more convenient to keep it enabled and just choose static IP addresses that are outside the Dhcp server's address range (but within the router's LAN, of course).

I don't understand your question about the Netgear router. Do you want to have internet access with the laptops, guarantee that the desktop cannot get internet access, and be able to communicate between the laptops and desktop?

3. Lex.Luthor

Here's what I am wanting to do. The netgear router I have is set up with a static ip, wep key enabled, no internet access and is attached in the office to the desktop computer. This is the router that I use when I need to access the computer because it has wol capabilities. I also use the router as a doorway to the desktop coputer to gain entry when I need to transfer files from the desktop to the laptop. The 2 wire router is in the kitchen and has internet capabilities. There is no phone line in the office since my house is built in the 50's by my late father-in-law's carpenters. The laptops do have internet access, but they are not setup as a static ip, both setup as automatic. I can switch my tcp/ip setting on my laptop to connect to the netgear router and transfer files, but I cannot get internet access this wayfrom the laptop. I can however change the settings on both the netgear router and the 2 wire and then change the settings on the laptops as well. Basically, I am wanting to know if there is a way that I can setup by routers to get internet access and be able to transfer files without having to change my tcp/ip settings all of the time?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The obvious answer is to connect the desktop to the 2-wire's LAN and have everything on the same network.

Maybe you are saying that with the laptops you want to choose to connect by wireless to either the 2-wire (using a dynamic connection) or to the Netgear using a static IP. If I have guessed correctly make sure the Netgear's Dhcp server is disabled; on the laptops' wireless TCP/IP properties set to use a dynamic connection on the General page and the static IP information on the Alternate page.

5. Lex.Luthor

That's what I have been trying to do, but I will have to get all of my tools and ready the room for a phone line.

But on the later, you have guesssed it correctly, I will give this a try and post the results later on.

Thank you Terry!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Or run an ethernet cable from 2-wire modem/router to desktop if that's more convenient.

7. Lex.Luthor

You know I could do that, I have several feet of cable and plenty of connectors. That might be a good idea since I want to turn the room into a full office.

8. Lex.Luthor

Ok, here is what I've done to solve this. I've found the D.I.N. box for the data and voice line, removed the old lines and installed a "web" or spider design, moved the 2wire to the office and attached the 2wire to the desktop. Now the only thing that I need to figure out is how to the desktop to talk to my laptop using the settings within the router. Have to check the manual on this.

Thank you to all for your support on this.

Tech guy rules!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice