Solved: netgear router and adapter don't talk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wahdm7

Hello,
I have a Netgear DGB834Gv3 router and a Netgear WG111v2 adapter. When first setup I was wireless for about a week. Then I tried to update my security settings and went for a WPS2 PSK setting with password. Since then I have not been able to get the two to communicate. The router seems to be sending signals as it appears in the Available Networks window, and the adapter seems to be flashing blue lights occasionally, but the adapter won't pick up the signals.
Any ideas, please?

TerryNet

Terry
WPS2? If you mean WPA2 do you have the latest driver and utility for the adapter?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Also, try removing all the stored wireless configuration profiles and creating a new connection. It may be trying to use an old encryption key, since you've changed it.

wahdm7

Thanks,
I was using WEP at first and was wireless then. I read a couple of articles about wireless safety and decided to change to WPA2 PSK; that's when it stopped.
(Must apologise - this is probably all very straightforward but steep learning curve for me.)

wahdm7

Thanks, yes, I meant WPA2 PSK.
I think it's up to date - it's a fairly new purchase and I loaded the drivers from the installation disc.
Would you recommend configuring using Windows or Netgear?

wahdm7

If I try removing all the stored wireless configuration profiles, will I do that through Windows Network Places or via the 192.168.0.1 Router location?
Thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
Use Netgear's or Windows' utilitity but make sure the other one is not running. Whichever one you are using, that is where you remove wireless profiles. If no success, try the other utility.

wahdm7

Thanks for help so far. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Netgear Adapter, deleting my network profile in Netgear utility but wasn't able to leave blank. Tried default setting, still no success. Have tried using Windows' utility. I can get connected to the internet via a neighbour's wireless transmission, but I get an error message that it isn't able to connect to my preferred network.
Is there a hierarchy of steps I should have taken / be taking? (I'm thinking very basically here). There seems to be lots of 'layers' of action that can interfere with each other and I'm wondering if I have prevented connection earlier in the sequence. Thanks

TerryNet

Terry
I suggest you disable encryption on the router and connect. Given everything you've said I expect that to work. Assuming that it does connect then enable WPA-PSK on the router and try to connect.

If that works then disable encryption on the router and connect again. Then enable WPA2-PSK and try to connect. If we get this far and fail, I don't know what to say except use WPA, but John may know what to do next.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
FWIW, WPA with a strong random key is very secure, and if you got that working, I'd let sleeping dogs lie. :)

wahdm7

Have been trying for about two hours with varied success and failure. I'm sending this wirelessly at the moment using WEP. I managed a connection before, with Disabled and then WEP, but then when I tried several times to step up to WPA or WPA PSK on the 192.168.0.1 window, it wouldn't then connect despite trying different settings with Windows Network Connections.
If I try again to choose WPA or WPA PSK in the 192.168.0.1 window, what should be the next steps, please?
Thanks again for all advice so far.

wahdm7

Also, is there a routine for switching off and on the router / PC in any particular order?
Thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
"is there a routine for switching off and on the router / PC in any particular order?"

No routine in normal usage. But if things get out of wack (e.g., get strange dup. IP errors) then shut everything down; plug in modem, then plug in router, then boot computers.

I hope that when you went from WEP to WPA you connected with encryption disabled in between. If you did, I guess there is a problem with that router or adapter.

I didn't notice if you checked for a driver update yet. You said at one time that you were still using the driver from the CD (which, for all I know, may have been burnt a year ago--long before they fixed their possible encryption problem).

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There is an order to turning the stuff on. You should start with the modem, then the router, then the machines. Also, if you reset the router, you may have to reboot any and all machines to restore full operation. Sometimes, depending on the attached IP device and the router make/model/firmware, it will toss a duplicate IP address or two if you just restart the router.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online