1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Netgear Router dropping Internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PurpleHelen, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PurpleHelen

PurpleHelen Thread Starter

Hi - my first post so please be kind.:eek: I have searched for a previous answer, but similar ones all seem more complex problems than mine!

I am running XP on my PC and connecting to the Internet with a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router DG834G v3.

Most of the time it is fine (and it also runs a second PC upstairs through the wireless network OK).

Then about once or twice a day, the Internet light goes from green to orange, flashing on and off for about 10 seconds, then off altogether for a few seconds, then flashing orange again and so on. At this point if I click on the Internet connection symbol in the bottom right hand corner of the screen (task tray?) it tells me I am connected, but with no speed, and I can't access any websites.

If I try the connection diagnostics in XP, it tells me to check the wires, turn the modem off and on again, but when that doesn't work just tells me to contact my ISP.

Each time this has happened I have tried re-booting the PC, and tried turning the power to the router/modem off for a few minutes and back on, no luck, and then eventually, for no apparent reason, the link seems to recover itself and I am back online. (This morning it took about 30 minutes)

We get our Internet through overhead telephone wires (no cable out here in the sticks) and the best speed I ever show on teh connection status screen is 2.5Mbps, but often much less.

I suppose my real question is this: Is the problem likley to bewith my Router/modem? Or is it a weak internet signal? Is it worth me replacing the router and if so, is it possible to get one which is better able to cope with a weak signal? Any suggestions/recommendations gratefully received!

Many thanks ;)

Helen.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your ISP should be able to tell you the speed available from your connection.

I would see if there is an updated firmware available on the Netgear website http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/family/a_id/1288

If its down for 30minutes the ISP should be able to run a connection test on the link, also see if you have logged out of the connection.

3. PurpleHelen

Thanks Etaf.

I think the firmware is up to date, but I'll certainly check again.

Yes I have checked my speed and I know I won't get more than 2 Mbps, because we are on an overhead wire and a long way from the exchange, that was just for information.

I was really wondering whether changing the modem/router was likely to help at all, or whether I just have to live with a dodgy connection because we are at the end of a long line from the exchange?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    If in the UK
    do you know the distance to the exchange
    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

My brother is on overhead lines to the exchange and about 2.5miles (not sure how the cable runs - so could be much much further ) from the exchange, and he doesn't have a problem - Although he did have a lot of noise on his phone and it turned out to be a branch rubbing the cable some miles away .... that took a while to sort out

5. PurpleHelen

Thanks Etaf - interesting website! The answer is about 2.25 miles by road (but as you say, who knows how long the wire is). Of course, having raised this thread, I've had no more problems today at all, but last night and this morning was pain. If it comes back I'll try the ISP and failing that a better router!
    Helen

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice