1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Netgear Router Mess

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brokecollegekid, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brokecollegekid

brokecollegekid Thread Starter

As a small background - i moved into my first apartment with 4 other guys and since I brought the routers I'm the one trying to fix them. The router we initially set our place up with was the same one i used in my dorm last year. All year long it was iffy with Windows computers, kicking people off randomly, not letting them connect (myself included) yet my friends mac computers literally never had an issue once. After moving into this apartment I have not been able to connect to this router at all and have been using my upstairs neighbors' the entire semester. We thought it could possibly be because we have 5 laptops, 3 Xbox's and 5 smart phones attempting to access it (rarely all at once its usually probably 5 items total when were all home). So i made a trip home and grabbed a spare router my dad had laying around so we could run two routers. That's where i ran into some problems, well more problems i guess.

The original router : Netgear WNR1000
    Second Router: Netgear WNDR3300
    Modem: Arris TM822
    ISP: Optimum
    Laptop: HP dv6t Windows 7

So i tried plugging the second router in through one of the LAN ports on the original router to set up another network but it did not work. I searched all over the internet followed various instructions but none of them resulted in the second router giving me a connection to the internet. I tried to setup an internet connection with the second router alone but it would never connect to the internet even after i reset it to factory settings. On a side note, when i connect my laptop to the second router with an ethernet cable it shows both the old SSID from when it was setup at my parent's house and the current one we have it set to. I've tried everything i could think of and/or find on the internet. More than likely the issue is more me being dumb but o well gotta learn somehow

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's almost guaranteed that both Netgear routers default to the same LAN subnet (probably 192.168.1.x). To daisy-chain two routers and get internet access on the second one the routers need to use different LAN subnets. Change one of them to something else (e.g., 192.168.3.x).

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

brokecollegekid

Welcome to Tech Support Guy
    You cannot, as far as I know, connect more than one router
    I see this as your starting point
    http://www.arrisi.com/support/documentation/user_guides/_docs/TM822_User_Guide_Std1-2.pdf

I also consider the first test is to see if you can connect hard wired with the laptop direct to the Arris

Very possibly the problem here
    could be using both the wireless software to manage the connection and Windows
    May also be the security level ie WEP WPA WPA2 etc

There are so many variables that it would take a long time to type it all out

I suggest you start here
    http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Setting-up-a-wireless-network

forget about proceeding to connect other computers and file and printer sharing.

That together with the documents for your ARRIS should get you on the way and then we can explore any diffculty you have when at least you have set up the connection to ONE of the routers, forget trying to connect router to router

This has all the information you will need
    For a full list of steps to try, see the Wired and Wireless Tutorial on this page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/wired-and-wireless-network-connection-problems-in-windows
    After reading through the thread, there appears to be some confusion regarding Wireless Networking technologies and configurations using Windows 7 and I would like to spend some time to try and clear things up with some basic troubleshooting / best practices for Wireless Network related issues.

1. First try and power off your modem, router and desktop/laptop. Then power on the modem, then the router, and then finally the desktop/laptop. Please do this in that order, allowing 60 seconds in between each device to enable the device to be fully booted and able to accept connections.

2. Update the drivers for your wireless network adapter via Windows Update, or by using the website for either the company you bought your PC/Laptop from or the manufacturer of your networking device.

3. Ensure that your router is set to broadcast it’s network name (SSID), ensure that you are connecting to the correct wireless network (SSID) and that you are using the correct WEP/WPA passkey on both devices.
    a. Please use “Windows Connect Now” or “Wi-Fi Protected Setup” if available on your wireless router to ensure that the connection is setup correctly.

4. If you are trying to use WPA or WPA2, please ensure that both your network adapter and wireless router support this protocol. If you are having issues detecting your wireless network when using WPA or WPA2, try configuring your router to use WEP instead and see if you can connect.
    a. Please note that the change between WEP/WPA/WPA2 will need to be made on both your computer and wireless router.
    b. If you are only able to connect using WEP, then your networking hardware may need a firmware upgrade. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, please call your hardware/router manufacturer for help in doing this.

5. If you are having a problem with your wireless connection after resuming from hibernate or sleep, or are having intermittent connectivity issues, try to adjust your Power Management profile to change your Wireless Adapter Settings to Maximum Performance.
    a. To do this click “Change Plan Settings” next to your Power Profile, and choose “Wireless Adapter Settings” and set it to Maximum Performance. You should do this with all of your power profiles. Additional guidance is available here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/power-management

6. Call the support line for your router manufacturer. It is likely that neither Windows nor the router are having problems, it is simply an issue of getting the configuration settings on both set up to work correctly together. The router manufacturer will be the best resource to know how to configure their device. Most of the contact numbers are listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/vendors/en-us

For more information please see the following links:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Why-can-t-I-connect-to-a-network
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/set-up-a-wireless-router
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Add-a-device-or-computer-to-a-network
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Wireless-networking-frequently-asked-questions

and will save me and you time at the end of the day instead of taking it step by step - one post at a time from me and then your reply.

So In summary
    Open network and sharing centre from Control Panel
    left pane
    change adapter settings
    Is the wireless adapter shown
    and if so what is it shown as
    If it is shown disabled right click and click enable
    If it does then shown enabled right click again and click connect/dicsonnect to
    does this then show your ISP provider on the list
    If so select it and then click connect - presuming it shows disconnected
    If that does not connect right click that provider click properties
    YOU will then be at the window in my screenshot
    Configure you security and any wireless key

You will realise by now I think how much typing would be necessary to cover all of this
    Please try what I have listed and see how it goes.

Attached Files:

4. brokecollegekid

To TerryNet,
    by LAN subnet do you mean the IP address? I changed the IP on the second one by one number and that didn't change anything. Really thought that was gunna fix it and i think now that it has to do with the security settings on the second one.

To Macboatmaster,
    My wirless adapter is shown : Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN. Yesterday I wrote to you from my original WiFi for some reason i was able to connect to it for a day, even play counter-strike on it and then at night it booted me again. This morning after reading your reply i followed your steps and after using the WPS button I've been connected ever since. I want to give it a few hours and see if it stays connected because I wouldn't be surprised if it kicks me off again but I think that very well may have been my issue. As of right now both routers are set up with WEP security only and I have the wireless key for both. At this point I believe i can connect one of the LAN ports of the original router to the WAN port of the second and as long as they have different IPs and run on different channels I should be able to broadcast two SSID's. I think at this point i just need to configure the security settings of the second router to be able to access it. Any thoughts? And by the way thank you so much for your input i really appreciate your time and help

5. Macboatmaster

OK thanks for posting the reply
    Will wait to hear from you
    As I said, sometimes if the person asking can work their way through the links, it saves me an awful lot of typing and indeed at the end of the day is quicker for you as well

If of course as I said, you could not follow it all yourself then me or my colleague TerryNet would have gladly taken you through step by step

Good luck with it and post back of course if you do have problems

6. brokecollegekid

A neighbor of mine came over and helped me out, the issue was that i tried to set up the new router as the first one so i wanted that one to be 1.x and the old one to be 2.x but i changed them in the wrong order essentially, everything is running fine right now and mine and my roomates laptops, thank you both so much your inputs both helped me solve this issue

7. Macboatmaster

Thks again
    Mark the topic solved please using the mark solved button on your post

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice