1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: NETGEAR WG511 is slow (dial-up speed)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Ive got a new NETGEAR WG511 Wireless PCMCIA Card 54Mbps,
    WinXP Home SP2
    A Wireless Network using NETGEAR Router...

I have it up and running...BUT

when connected it shows speed of around 36/48Mbps (even if right next to router)
    Iam using the laptop in same room 5ft away and when i open firefox it slows down to 11mb

Whilst this wud be ok for speed it seems that its not...My internet is 2Mb and 0.5Mb after 6pm
    but with this wireless card its just a little faster than dial up (70-90kbps)

what can this be? ive enabled most internet related services..?

thanks

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi,

I maybe misunderstanding but if your ISP limits you to a 512K connection after 6pm 70-90Kbps is slightly faster than you should be getting.

The connection speed to your router won't matter (unless it drops below the ISP connection speed).

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Yes u are misunderstanding
    70-90 KiloBITS not Bytes... 70-90Kilobits = 8.75 - 11.25 KB/s (70 or 90 divided by 8 as there are 8 bits in a byte and download speeds are shown in Bytes when downloading but ISPs and Connections on PCs display it it bits...Megabits... 2Mb = 250KB/s top speed (2000 divided by 8)

The connection speed only dropped to 10Mb (20 times faster than my actual after 6pm connection) but it was still loading pages at dial up speed...

however its been sorted..changin to channel 11 for some reason fixed it?
    thanks for your help thoug

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!