1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Netgear WGR614 problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spidey4549, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spidey4549

spidey4549 Thread Starter

I just switched routers from a Linksys WRT54G to a Netgear WGR614. The Netgear worked properly on my other router before I upgraded it to a Buffalo router. When I hooked the Netgear router up to my cable modem and plugged in the three computers needed to be hooked up to it only one of the computers showed up on the router. What I mean is that while wired into the router only one of the lights indicating a connection lit up. The other two computers do not even make the lights on the front of the router light up. The one computer that shows a connection on the router does have internet access. When I tried to hook the Linksys back up it failed to connect to the internet even though the lights on the front of it did light up indicating a wired connection with all of the computers. I need the Netgear working because I have to give the Linksys back so troubleshooting the Linksys isn't really an option. I tried renewing connections and resetting up the Netgear router but to no avail. I even tried to connect the Netgear back up to the original modem it was connected to before I moved it upstairs to the modem I want it connected to now but I could not get an internet connection working with the original modem either, although the lights for both computers downstairs did light up on the front of the router. Sorry if this is a little difficult to follow. I can try to make certain aspects more clear if necessary. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If an ethernet LED does not light it indicates a problem with the port or the cable, or possibly the port (NIC) at the other end of the cable.

I don't understand the talk about multiple modems or "The Netgear worked properly on my other router before I upgraded it to a Buffalo router."

3. spidey4549

The talk with the modems is that I had the Netgear hooked up and working to the modem downstairs but when I moved it and hooked it up to the modem in the upstairs of the house is when I started having problems with it. The cables were working fine with the previous router upstairs but we had to give that router back hence why the Netgear is up there now. I am going to try to work on it some today but any other help in the meantime would be appreciated.

Edit:
    Also it doesn't matter which port I hook any of the cables up to, the one computer is still the only one that works no matter which port.

I just now tried to connect to the router wirelessly and it connected with limited or no connectivity. I then hooked the laptop up directly to the router with a known working cable and the router detected the computer (the front LED lit up and the laptop acknowledged wired connection). When I tried to access the internet though it just came up page cannot be displayed. I was able to access the router with 192.168.1.1 though.

4. spidey4549

The router works now. I'm not sure what the deal was but when I got back home from lab today the lights on the front that were previously off were on and everything works. Wish I could explain it but I'm just glad to have it working again. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice