1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Netgear WGR614v6 Router and Vista

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lmp4, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lmp4

lmp4 Thread Starter

Hi, I am an absolute computer beginner (I use my computer for word processing, email, and internet), so please bear with me; I read a lot of other posts to determine what I would need to say here, sorry if i leave anything out.

We have a gateway desktop with windows xp, which is connected to a cable modem, and the modem to a wireless router, netgear wgr614v6. an ibm laptop running xp connects to the wireless network and has never had any problems. we got a new laptop, gateway, with vista on it and it will not connect to any wireless network. i ahve already called gateway tech support, reinstalled the drivers, gone through all their suggestions, and they say the problem is with my router. the laptop finds my wireless network but says it cannot connect, no matter how close it is to the router. the network is not password protected, encrypted, and i even tried turning off all firewalls. i have logged in to the router and tried changing the channels and other settings to see if that would work and nothing does. i have power cycled the router and modem every time i made a change to see if that would help and it does not. the laptop consistenly sees the network but says it can't connect.

netgear has a site with info on upgrading your router for vista but next to my model router is a link for a complete reinstall of the router; we dont have vista on this desktop and there is no one file specified to upgrade the router for vista in the download.

do i just need to get another router, or are there any routers that will work on xp and vista machines simultaneously? we have no plans (or means) to upgrade the desktop to vista.
    sorry if this is not enough info, i wwanted to be thorough. any help is really appreciated.
    thanks.
    lmp

2. aerain

aerain

Imp4,

I would first to a full factory reset on your router.

I'm not sure if the Gateway tech support person already walked you through this but:

- Right-click on the network connection near the system clock and select Connect to a Network.
    - Click on the Set Up A Connection or Network
    - Select Set up a wireless router or access point and click Next

Follow the rest of the steps.

If that doesn't work, then I would try another router and see if you can connect.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've connected my Vista laptop to a number of systems, it doesn't have any special requirements for a basic network connection, wired or wireless. What happens if you ask Vista to repair the connection?

Let's see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

4. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Why do you connect the router to the PC and the PC to the modem??

Try this:

Turn off all devices (PCs, modem and router)
    Connect the modem to the router's WAN port
    Connect the PC to the router's #1 port
    Turn on modem, wait 5 minutes
    Turn on router, wait 2 minutes
    Turn on PC, it should connect to the internet

Now try the laptops.....hope this helps you....

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds a lot like you are using MAC Address filtering on the router. It's a great way to make your network difficult to use. I'd look for that before doing anything else.

6. JohnWill

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes my sarcasm gets in the way of clarity! :)

8. lmp4

lmp4 Thread Starter

ok, i think i have changed how the router is connected per the instructions given by pcrepairguy. actually, i don't know why it is (or isn't) connected the way it is, or how, really, as i said earlier, i didn't set up the router, or connect the cables or anything. it was all set up for us . so i think i reconnected the cables correctly, but it has nto changed anything; the laptop still will not connect.

when vista does the repair connection, it just says there is no communication with the wireless router and that maybe our signal strength is not strong enough. as i said earlier, my 5 year old ibm laptop connects to the network from anywhere in the apartment so i don't know.

how do i lose the MAC filtering? would that have been a default setting?

johnwill, i will try to paste the results of the command prompt this evening when i am home, if i can. thanks very much.

i really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions; i apologize if anything i'm saying is unclear, but i think most of the people on this forum really know computers, and i . . . know how to turn one on and type on it. and check out homestarrunner. :)
    iliana

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The default setting on all routers that I've run across so far is to have MAC Address filtering disabled. The way to "lose" it is to login to your router and disable it. I glanced at the manual for the v5 version of that router, which should be very similar to your v6, and found that the relevant section is in Chapter 4 (Wireless Configuration) and entitled "How to Restrict Wireless Access by MAC Address." That indicates that you should uncheck the 'Turn Access Control On' option. Again, I didn't bother downloading your manual, but I'm sure it's very similar to mine. Your User Guide is on the CD, or you can download it from Netgear's web site.

10. lmp4

lmp4 Thread Starter

terrynet-
    that was it!! thank you very, very much. i am embarrassed to say i would have never figured that out on my own. and more embarrassed to say that had i seen "MAC" address in the manual, i would have thought, "but i don't have a mac!" sigh. anyway, thanks to you and everyone for your help, and for being patient with me.

11. JohnWill

Glad you got it going. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

12. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Good job imp4, now secure your network! Go to www.linksys.com for instructions or start a new thread here!

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Great idea to secure the network. WPA-PSK (or WPA2) being best, but WEP is fine also. However, I would suggest just sticking to the router's User Guide rather than going to a different manufacturer's web site.

14. JohnWill

How is he going to configure his Netgear router with Linksys instructions? ;)

15. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Sorry guys I was assuming it was a Linksys......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/575710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice