Solved: Netgear WGR617 v7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cg13

I have a question here, in my house there is a wireless router (netgear WGR617 v7) and there is 3 notebooks in the house (1 windows base and 2 MAC), there is a person that modified the security of the wireless.
my question here, one of my friend (using MAC) manage to enter the wireless and he put the password, however Im not really savvy in MAC, he said he can see what is the password of the wireless. Now i know what is the passwd, i put it in my notebook (windows) but somehow i cant get through, my friend who using another MAC tried the same and he couldnt get in the wireless.
Im just wondering, is there any setting that allow you to do that via netgear hardware? and by on earth how does the setting guy done it?
please give me your opinion folks, thank you very much

I think the guy who did the setting remembered the wrong password. Use a pen to poke the reset switch of the router and start over again.

Cg13

unfortunately its the same passwd, the technician never changes his passwd, and its the same passwd that the MAC pc uses to access the wireless..

Cg13

thats the problems here, i cant get inside the router settings due the guy changed the passwd, if you dont mind lunarlander, can you explain briefly what is WEP, WPA or WPA2? maybe it has to do with that wireless security, Thanx

They are all encryption standards for wireless. Basically, you create a key ( passphrase ) on the router, and then type the same key into all the computers. WEP is the earliest encryption that came with the first WiFi. It is very easily cracked and is considered obsolete. Use WEP only when you have no other choice, eg when you have old equiptment. WPA is the next standard, is pretty secure. WPA2 is the latest standard, and uses strong encryption ( AES).

If you don't know the admin password to the router, you can always reset it. Then the password will become the default one again. You can then lookup the default password in the manual, or online.

Cg13

ok thanx... however it still didnt solve my case here T_T and i know security type.. its WAP personal

DoubleHelix

Banned
If you want access to the router, you have two options: 1)Get the password to the router from the person who changed it. 2) Reset the router.

Cg13

yes that options I am aware of it, however I do not wish to enter the router, I just want to enter the wireless connection

DoubleHelix

Banned
You can't access the wireless connection without knowing the encryption key. If you don't know that, see the two options above.

Cg13

i know the wireless passwd, is that the same as encryption key that you are talking DoubleHelix?

DoubleHelix

Banned
There is a password that you must know and enter to gain access to the configuration page for the router. If you have wireless encryption enabled on the router, then you need to know that encryption key in order to connect a computer to your wireless network.

If you know the password to the router, you can usually connect to it and find out the encryption key.

Use a ethernet wire, connect your pc to the router. Then enter the admin password to access the router's configuration page. Once there, you can get to the wireless encryption page, there is a pre-shared key which you might be able to see ( unless it is hidden by asterisks.) that pre-shared key is what you need to enter onto all PCs in order to connect wirelessly. If the pre-shared key is hidden by asterisks, then erase and choose another one.

Cg13

i found my solution, it looks like the person who set up the internet in my house using limit access therefore you need to put your laptop MAC address into the router, so your laptop can connect to internet.

Cg13

thank you for all of you who join this thread and give me good input, thanx a bunch ^_^

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online