Solved: netlogon

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

manomina

I got this dell laptop running xp pro and when I try to log on I get.

Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on this machine.

This was in safe mode.....so am I SOL? What I do? I think I may have deleted something out of the registry....I did back it up first and I was going to restore it.....but I can't log on.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Boot using the 'Safe mode with command prompt' option.
When you get to the black window type NET START NETLOGON and press Enter
Re-boot
Can you log on now ?

EDIT : after reading more about this it seems Netlogon is only needed if your PC is part of a Domain network, is this your situation ?

manomina

I booted and selected save mode/command prompt and it's taking forever but it asked me to login.....it did not take me to the command prompt.....maybe I hit the wrong thing?

No, I got this laptop from a neighbor that couldn't do anything with it and so now I am trying to fix it.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That could be my mistake, my XP goes straight to the Desktop without login so I can't reproduce what you see.

Do you have any CD(s) that came with the laptop ?
Do you have an XP install CD ?
What make and model is the laptop ?

manomina

I do have a CD, but I ran that on an HP laptop and it messed it up. It wqas asking to provide a 42 character key or something which I didn't have. It is a DELL cd though.......I guess I could try it, but if it asks me for a key then I may be in the same place......

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There may be a way to get the laptop back to 'as bought' condition using a 'recovery'
partition that's on it's hard drive.

Will need the make and model details to check.

manomina

I was trying to install ZoneAlarm and it totally messed me up. Sorry, it's a dell latitude d631. Not sure how you think we can do this.....but that's why I'm here.....to learn something new.

manomina

Does anyone know how I can run "NET START NETLOGON" if I can not logon? When I try to logon it says that it cannot because the service NETLOGON is started, I get that when I try to boot into safemode, safemode/command prompt......I think what I would need to do is somehow, create a startup cd with a batchfile that says that? Does anyone think that will work & if so, how might I go about doing that?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online