1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Netscape Browser with Mail - Mac

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Couriant, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    James
    Does anyone know how to export email from Netscape Mail?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just what are you trying to do--"export" one message, all messages, ...?

3. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    all messages/mailboxes. My company is changing a few of our end users from an old Mac to the new intel based, and Netscape does not have any compatible versions for the intel macs. I would like to export the mail so I can get it loaded on the new machine.

4. hewee

hewee

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Copying the files will certainly get the messages whereever you want them. Whether you can easily get them into another email client is another question. That link hewee gave indicates you can import them into Outlook Express.

6. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Yeah, I think on the Mac they have the same extension. I will have a look tomorrow.

7. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    I found the MSF files, hopefully I can transfer the MSF files to the Mac's Mail program...

8. hewee

hewee

Wait Couriant

It is the the files wit "no .msf extensions" you want. the .msf are just the folder and you want the emails.

Say you have this
    inbox
    inbox.msf

You do not want the inbox.msf but you do want the inbox.
    Once you get the email over and you open the email program the first time click on the inbox and each folder. It will then rebuild the .msf files.

.msf files can even go bad and if say you know you have no email in your inbox but you look in your profile and you see the inbox.msf file is many KB's or MB's then it has gone bad and has data for email that is no longer in that folder. A emply folder the .msf file should only be 2 KB.

But they can be cleaned up by deleting them. All the defaults like inbox, sent, draft, trash etc get rebuild on there own.
    Just have the email program closed when you delete the .msf file and then when you open it again your have new ones.
    On folders you made for your email they do not just get rebuild in the same way.

So say you had a folder called "Couriant" you be best to make another new folder called "Couriant-1" and then move the mail from Couriant to Couriant-1 folder.
    Then you can remame the Couriant-1 back to Couriant once you know your mail is moved ok.

So just backup your profile of your mail in case you goof somehow on moving the mail over because you can just go back and start over.
    Once you know you got all you mail then you can do what every with the email on the other PC.

9. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    (y) thanks Heewee, I did a little more research and found that the files without the extension can be used to import

For future references, you can safely import the files by copying them to a new folder, then add the .mbox extension to the files. When that's done, go into the Mail program, select import then Other for which type of mail (ie Outlook, Netscape) then select the folder with the copied files and then it will add the messages as *imported*

10. hewee

hewee

Yes you could do a export and import also.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice