1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Adapter connected to router but no access to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Infiniti63, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Infiniti63

Infiniti63 Thread Starter

Hi all.

Got a problem that i need help with.

I have a Netgear DGN2000 router wired to a desktop machine running windows 7. In another room i have another desktop machine running windows XP. I have a netgear WN111v2 network adapter connected to this machine. The network adapter says it is connect to the router, the icon in the bottom right hand corner is green and the signal strength is in high 90%s, yet when i start up internet explorer the message i get is "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

Also, in the house there is a laptop running windows 7 (connected wirelessly - no problems) another laptop running windows xp (connected - no problems) and an Xbox 360 (connected ok).
    Been on to netgear tech support all they could suggest was to lower the security settings on the router, ultimately lowered down to disabled - still nothing.
    Disabled homegroup on the windows 7 machine still nothing running out of ideas now. Can someone out there help please?

Cheers

Infiniti63

2. HCD

HCD

Go into Internet Explorer. On the menu bar click Tools, then Internet Options. Click on Connections Tab. Click on LAN Settings. The only box that should be ticked is Automatic Settings. If use a proxy server is ticked let me know.

3. Infiniti63

No box's are checked under is this window. Boxes available are "automatically detect settings" and "use automatic configuration script" along with a "use a proxy server for your LAN" box

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you're really connected to the wireless another top suspect is a mis-configured or corrupted or out-of-date non-Windows security application. What one(s) do, or did, you have on the machine?

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. HCD

HCD

Try ticking automatically detect settings

6. Infiniti63

HCD - no joy same message

presume you want the ipconfig info for the xp machine thats not connecting:-

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Lisa>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TomsPC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-32-AE-CC

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Media disconnected" probably means a defective cable or NIC.

I thought you were trying to connect by wireless on this machine? If so, what is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters? What, if any, warnings or errors are in Device Manage.

8. Infiniti63

2 things listed in Device Manager

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    RangeMax Wireless-N USB Adapter

Both are working correctly according to XP

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the wireless connection show in Network Connections? If so, is it enabled?

10. Infiniti63

No it says its not connected

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It doesn't show in Network Connections, but says that it is not connected? I do not understand.

Does the ethernet connection, or anything, appear in Network Connections?

12. Infiniti63

Sorry to confuse. It is shown in Network Connections but it's not connected.

I am now beginning to think this is something to do with the netgear adapter. The reason is 2 fold: -
    1) I have an old Belkin G USB network adapter and plugged that in and it works.
    2) when I bought a new Belkin Router with a Belkin adapter that worked fine. Took it back because had other problems with the router.

Think I might go out and buy a new different manufacturer (belkin) USB adapter and see if that works.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Right click on it. If one of the options is "Enable" please select that and try again to connect. If, OTOH, one of the options is "Disable" try that and then re-enable it.

14. Infiniti63

Right, in the end decided to go out and buy a new Belkin N300 Surf+ wireless adapter. Just installed it and connected straight away no problems.

thanks for your help in trying to get the Netgear one to work but i'm back online now

Cheers

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for letting us know the solution. It was beginning to sound like adapter failure, but I like to look at other possibilities first.

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice