1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Adapters Non-Functional!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SQLGirl, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SQLGirl

SQLGirl Thread Starter

Hi all. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a Dell 1390 Wireless WLAN Mini-Card and a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller. I'm running XP Media Edition and run the Automatic Windows Updates.

Night before last, my laptop was off in the morning - odd because I leave it on. This does happen sometimes when there is a Windows update that requires a restart, and I noticed that was the case on my desktop computer, so I didn't think much of it. Problem is that now both network cards are non-functional. My wireless card shows no wireless networks available to join - though I am able to connect my iPod Touch just fine. When I plug my Broadcom NIC into the router (or even directly to the cable modem) it shows a connection at 100Mbps, but will not see my network or connect to the internet.

I downloaded the most recent drivers from Dell for both cards, but am unable to install them - my system hangs partway through the process. I also checked out the cards in Device Manager - neither shows and error - and tried uninstalling them. That also hangs the system. (Overnight - it's not just that I'm not patient).

When I run IPConfig (whether directly connected to the router or not) I get nothing. No addresses at all - as if the network does not exist.

I'm currently checking for spyware, but beyond that - can anyone help me out? I'm a SQL Programmer, so I'm not a total computer doofus, but hardware is not my thing.

Thanks!

2. schang626

schang626

have u tried doing a system restore to the nite b4?

3. SQLGirl

SQLGirl Thread Starter

Finally occurred to me to restart in safe mode - was able to uninstall and reinstall the drivers - working fine now. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice