1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: network adaptor instead of onboard network card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by need2know, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

Sister has Lenova 3000 c200 series laptop, approx 5 years old which has onboard network card which according to specs (as I haven't looked inside), has
    IEEE 802.11b and IEEE 802.11g,her linksys router is about same age too and am sure they both need updating, especially as she is moving to area where broadband speed check shows it will be even slower than where she lives now...

Question is :-

Can I upgrade to IEEE 802.11n, and if so, do I have to change the old internal card, or can I buy and insert an external network card adaptor, and then change BIOS settings to disable internal one and enable new one.Just want easiest solution please.
    Will also upgrade her router.
    Any help much appreciated

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if its slower than why upgrade

the speed of "G" is upto 54Mbps and a lot of broadband speeds are slower - so the speed will only be noticed when transferring files across the network PC to PC at home

whats the speed tests show

when she moves . does the ISP provide a modem.router/wireless router - most do in the UK, or if they don't you can normally negotiate that they do

3. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

Of course !!
    Sometimes need to put my simplistic head on.

And because she will be moving to a new provider I know they will provide a new router.

Her current speed checks show:
    2.0Mb and 6.0Mb
    (Estimated speed: 2.5Mb)

Her future speedcheck at new house will be:
    Between 0.75Mb and 4.0Mb
    (Estimated speed: 0.512Mb)

She will be 4.5 miles from nearest exchange

Pretty rubbish though, any way to increase the above ??

Thanks

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    No - not if thats the ISP figures
    other than if you have cable to the house - from a different provider

so changing the adapter will make no difference and as you get a new router anyway, i would not bother with a new wireless adapter - no gain

5. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

Thanks, there is an existing Sky cable dish at new house so are you saying that if she signs up to Sky for her requirements (ie tv, broadband, landline), she would get better speed, but doesn't cable have latency problems too?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sky in the UK is delivered by satellite , i was thinking of an optic cable to the house.
    I think Sky broadband is delivered via a telephone line anyway -

7. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

Yes, was just checking about that on Sky website, don't think there is a solution, as you have already said, and sure optic is definately not available in the rural area to where she is moving to, but many thanks for YOUR speedy replies and help (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice