1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network and Sleep Mode

Discussion in 'Networking' started by unclewoody, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unclewoody

unclewoody Thread Starter

:confused:We have six computers on the same in-home network (one Win XP-SP3, three Win 7 (Home Prem), two Win 8.1)
    Until about two weeks ago, all computers came out of sleep mode, and booted fresh, with internet access.
    Starting then, on the Win 7 (Home Prem) machine, I have had to re-connect to the network every time I come out of sleep mode or have a fresh start.
    What settings can I change to have the computer 'stay' connected to the network?
    Also, if there is any insight, how could this have happened? I don't recall doing anything out of my usual stuff.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The only thing that comes immediately to mind is that Windows may have installed an incorrect wireless driver (if you permit Windows to mess with drivers).

3. unclewoody

I have been doing a bit with drivers, recently (to install a bluetooth headset) but I think this started before that time.
    What can I check, or do, to see if this might be the problem?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Install, or re-install, the correct wireless driver. From you PC manufacturer's web site for an integrated adapter, else from the adapter manufacturer's site.

5. unclewoody

Thanks, Terry --
    I updated the driver, and it now comes back from a restart connected, but still not out of sleep mode.
    This seems real strange, to me.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This happened fairly frequently in XP. And if the driver update did not fix the problem we tried a router firmware upgrade (then reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it). If still not working then only a router or adapter replacement solved the issue.

Pretty sure you are not the first person to have this problem in Windows 7, but I don't know why it stopped working after working for some time.

So, all I can suggest is to try the router firmware update and reset to factory defaults.

7. unclewoody

Please forgive my lack of tech savvy, but it only happens with one of six computers, so it doesn't seem to me that the router would be at fault.
    It is a Motorola SBG 6580, if that might help.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Likewise. However, I don't wanna tell you to replace the adapter or router w/o first telling you that a router reset to factory defaults may fix the problem.

9. unclewoody

But how can it be the router, if it works fine on the other five computers?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because a router reset or replacement fixed similar issues when we saw them more frequently in XP. Electronics love to fail in ways that defy our (human) logic.

11. unclewoody

Well, thanks for the help, Terry.
    Since this router is only about a year old, I think I will just live with manually accessing the network in lieu of replacing it.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) I wouldn't replace the router either unless I wanted to do so for some other reason.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1119557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice